Jeannette Guarner, MD
Infectious Disease Pathology
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Medical Director, Emory University Hospital Midtown
Email Address: email@example.com
BS Colegio Oxford, Mexico City, 1973 - 1977
MD Medical School, La Salle School of Medicine, M¿xico City, 1977 - 1983
- Helicobacter pylori infections in children and adults. When I was working at the National Cancer Institute in Mexico, I started studying the acute and chronic effects of Helicobacter pylori infection in adults. Together with Stanford University and a group in Chiapas State in Mexico, we did a case control trial to see if eradiaction of H. pylori decreased the amount of preneoplastic lesions. My interest has expanded to the study of this infection in children and I am currently involved in several projects in this population.
- Emerging and Re-emerging infections Upon arriving at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), I was integrally involved in high-prorfile outbreak investigations of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. The CDC pathology team has developed a variety of immunohistochemical and molecular assays to detect these patholgens. Detection of microbial antigens by immunohsitochemical methos in tissues has to be correlated with other laboratory tests. The combination of tissue and laboratory diagnosis of infectious agents is of vital importance to detect these emerging and re-emerging infections so that public health authorities place control and prevention measures.
- Education Since starting at Emory in 2009, I realized that there was a need to have curriculum content in certain areas that could be accessed at all times by trainees. To accomplish this, an Emory innovation grant in teaching was obtained allowing the creation of the Emory Pathology eLearning Portal. The modules present in this website have been tested and multiple publications have occurred using the material present in the modules.
Honors / Awards:
- Emory Women¿s First and Outstanding women¿Emory chooses two women faculty every year to highlight their accomplishments., 2014
- Elected to the American Clinical and Climatological Association., 2014
- Milipub club, 2011
- American Board of Pathology (anatomic and clinical pathology)
- Mexican Board of Anatomic Pathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Kempker RR, Heinrichs MT, Nikolaishvili K, Sabulua I, Bablishvili N, Gogishvili S, Avaliani Z, Tukvadze N, Little B, Bernheim A, Read TD, Guarner J, Derendorf H, Peloquin CA, Blumberg HM, Vashakidze S. Lung Tissue Concentrations of Pyrazinamide among Patients with Drug-Resistant Pulmonary Tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. Epub Apr 3. 2017.
- Racsa LD, DeLeon-Carnes M, Hiskey M, Guarner J. Identification of bacterial pathogens from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues by using 16S sequencing: retrospective correlation of results to clinicians' responses. Hum Pathol. 2017;59:132-138.
- Guarner J, Street C, Matlock M, Cole L, Brierre F. Improving Gram stain proficiency in hospital and satellite laboratories that do not have microbiology. Clin Chem Lab Med. Epub Sept 22, 2016 2017;55:458-461.
- Guarner J, Winkler AM, Flowers L, Hill CE, Ellis JE, Workowski K, Reid MD, Goedken J. Development, implementation, and evaluation of an interdisciplinary women's health and laboratory course. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016;146:369-72.
- Fairley JK, Kozarsky PE, Kraft CS, Guarner J, Steinberg JP, Anderson E, Jacob JT, Meloy P, Gillespie D, Espinoza TR, Isakov A, Vanairsdale S, Baker E, Wu HM. Ebola or not? Evaluating the ill traveler from Ebola-affected countries in West Africa. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016 Jan 18;3(1):ofw005.
- Kempker RR, Barth AB, Vashakidze S, Nikolaishvili K, Sabulua I, Tukvadze N, Bablishvili N, Gogishvili S, Singh RS, Guarner J, Derendorf H, Peloquin CA, Blumberg HM. Cavitary penetration of levofloxacin among patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59:3149-55.
- Guarner J, Amukele T, Mehari M, Gemechu T, Woldeamanuel Y, Winkler AM, Asrat D, Wilson ML, del Rio C. Building capacity in laboratory medicine in Africa by increasing physician involvement: A laboratory medicine course for clinicians. Am J Clin Pathol 2015;143:405-11.
- Guarner J, Jost H, Pillay A, Sun Y, Cox D, Notenboom R, Workowski K. Evaluation of treponemal serum tests performed on cerebrospinal fluid for diagnosis of neurosyphilis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015;143:479-84.
- Guarner J, Burd EM, Kraft CS, Armstrong WS, Lenorr K, Spicer JO, Martin D, del Rio C. Evaluation of an online program to teach microbiology to internal medicine residents. J Clin Microbiol 2015;53:278-81.
- Spicer JO, Kraft CS, Burd EM, Armstrong WS, Guarner J. The value of case-based, teaching vignettes in clinical microbiology rounds. Am J Clin Pathol 2014;141:318-322.
- Guarner, J, Hill CE, Caliendo AM. Career panel for pathology residents: Going beyond the core curriculum. . Am J Clin Pathol 2014;141:478-81.
- Hassan HA, Majid RA, Rashid NG, Nuradeen BE, Abdulkarim QH, Hawramy TA, Rashid RM, Farris AB, Guarner J, Hughson MD. Eosinophilic granulomatous gastrointestinal and hepatic abscesses attributable to basidiobolomycosis and fasciolias: a simultaneous emergence in Iraqi Kurdistan. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013, 13:91 [Epub Feb 2013]
- Guarner J, Armstrong WS, Satola SW, Mehta AK, Jerris R, Hilinski J, Burd EM, Kraft CS, Del Rio CA. Development, implementation, and evaluation of a 4th year medical school elective course in clinical microbiology using case-based vignettes. J Med Microbiol. 2013;62:1098-110.
- S Patel, JB Smith, E Kurbatova, J Guarner. Factors that impact turnaround time of surgical pathology specimens in an academic institution. Hum Pathol 2012;43:1501-5 (Epub 3/8/2012).
- RJ Molinaro, AM Winkler, CS Kraft, CR Fantz, SR Stowell, JC Ritchie, DD Koch, S Heron, J Liebzeit, S Santen, J Guarner. Teaching laboratory medicine to medical students: Implementation and assessment of a Medical Student Clinical Laboratory Experience (MSCLE). Arch Pathol Lab Med 2012;136:1423-1429
Book Chapters -
- Guarner J, del Rio C. Pathology, diagnosis, and treatment of anthrax in humans. In: NH Bergman. Bacillus anthracis and anthrax. Wiley-Blackwell, Inc. Hoboken, NJ. 2011 Chapter13 pages251-268.
- Guarner J. The spectrum of gastric disease associated with Helicobacter pylori and other infectious gastritides. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2004; 6(6):441-6.
- Unger ER, Guarner J. Infectious diseases. In: Leonard DGB. Diagnostic molecular pathology. WB Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA, p: 129-141, 2003.
- Nolte KB, Guarner J, Shieh WJ, Zaki SR. Emerging infectious diseases and the forensic pathologist. In: Froede RC, Davis GJ, Prahlow JA, Randall BB, Reay DT, Weedn VW (Eds). Handbook of forensic pathology. College of American Pathologists, Northfield, IL, chapter 36, pages: 345-360, 2003.
- King CH, Ashford DA, Dobos KM, Spotts Whitney EA, Raghunathan PL, Guarner J, Tappero JW. Mycobacterium ulcerans infection and Buruli ulcer disease: emergence of a public health dilemma. In: Scheld WM, Craig WA, Hughes JM. Emerging infections 5. ASM Press, Washington, D.C. P: 137-152; 2001.
- Slutsker L, Guarner J, Griffin P. Escherichia coli O157: H7. In: Nelson A, Horsburgh R. Pathology of Emerging Infections 2. 1st edition. American Society for Microbiology Press. Washington DC, U.S.A. 1998.
Other Publications -
- Guarner J, Duncan A, Nelson AM, Messele T. Laboratory quality control for all, can this be achieved? Am J Clin Pathol 2012;138:639-41.
- Guarner J. Diagnosis of Malaria. Pathol Case Rev 2011;16: 242-245.
- Guarner J, Falcon-Escobedo R. Comparison of the pathology caused by H1N1, H5N1, and H3N2 influenza viruses. Arch Med Res 2010;40:655-661 Epub Jan 2010.
- C Del Rio C, J Guarner. The 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic: What have we learned in the past 6 months. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 2010;121:128-40.
- Nolte KD, Hanzlick RL, Payne DC, Kroger AT, Oliver WR, Baker AM, Mc Gowan DE, DeJong JL, Bell MR, Guarner J, Shieh WJ, Zaki SR. Medical examiners, coroners, and biologic terrorism: A guidebook for surveillance and case management. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2004;53(Rr-8):1-36.
- Guarner J, Mohar A. The asociation between Helicobacter pylori and gastric neoplasias: epidemiological evidence. Rev Gastroenterol Mex 2000;65: S20-S24. (Spanish)