Cassandra D Josephson, MD
Pediatric Transfusion Medicine
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics, Emory University School of Medicine
Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Emory Unversity School of Medicine
Associate Professor, Pathology and Pediatrics, Laney Graduate School
Attending Physician, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Department of Pediatrics
Email Address: email@example.com
BA Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts, 1986 - 1990
MD Doctor of Medicine, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, 1992 - 1996
Intern/Resident Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center/ The Children's Hospital,Denver, Colorado, 1996 - 1999
Fellow Division of PediatricHematology/Oncology/BMTDepartment of Pediatrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, 1999 - 2002
Fellow Transfusion Medicine Program, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, 2002 - 2003
- Pediatric Transfusion Medicine, hemostasis, and hematology, oncology My research focus is in transfusion medicine issues as they relate to pediatric hematology and hemostasis, specifically, with regard to sickle cell anemia, hemophilia, neonatology, and
open heart surgery.
I am the Medical Director of the Blood, Tissue, and Apheresis Service at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. I am also a Pediatric Hematologist/Oncologist who specializes in treating patients with hemostasis or thrombosis conditions.
Honors / Awards:
- Relational Mentoring Award, President's Council on Women, Emory University
- Pediatric Transfusion Medicine Senior Academic Career Development Award, 2007-2012
- NIH Pediatric Research Loan Repayment Award, 2004 - 2006, 2004-2006
- National Research Scholar Award (NRSA), NIH Fellowship training scholarship, 2000-02, 2000-2002
- Joseph W. St. Geme, Jr. M.D. Award for Outstanding Research by a Resident, 1999
- Certificate of Special Recognition for Teaching Medical Students, 1998
- Florida Medical Association Award for Outstanding Community Service, 1996
- Ciba-Geigy Award for Outstanding Community Service, 1994
- Remy Johnston Award for Merit, Orton Dyslexic Society, 1994
- American Board of Pathology, Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics, Hematology/Oncology/Stem Cell Transplant
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Marin T, Josephson CD, Kosmetatos N, Higgins M, Moore JE. Feeding Preterm Infants During Red Blood Cell Transfusion is Associated with A Decline in Postprandial Mesenteric Oxygenation. J Pediatr (in press) 2014
- Josephson CD, Caliendo AM, Patel RM, Hillyer CD, Hinkes M, Knezevic A, Shenvi N, Easley KA, Roback JD. Blood transfusion and breast milk transmission of cytomegalovirus in very low birth weight infants. JAMA Pediatr (in press) 2014
- Patel RM, Roback JD, Jones DP, Yu T, Uppal K, Josephson CD. Metabolomic Profile Comparisons of Irradiated and Non-irradiated Stored Donor Red Blood Cells. Transfusion (in press) 2014
- Lanzieril TM, Dollard SC, Josephson CD, Schmidt DS, Bialek SR. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis to Estimate the Burden of Breast Milk-Acquired Cytomegalovirus Infection and Disease in Very Low Birth Weight and Premature Infants in the United States. Pediatrics 2013;131(6):e1937-45.
- Yee-McPherson M , Josephson CD, Harrington R, Hillyer CD, Castillejo MI, Mertens A, Hill C, Osunkwo I. Personalizing Pain Management in Sickle Cell Disease: Incidence of the Cytochrome P450 2D6 Gene Polymorphism in Pediatric Sickle Cell Disease. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2013;35(7):e301-5.
- Hendrickson, JE, Shaz, BH, Pereira, G, Parker, PM, Jessup, P, Atwell, F, Polstra, B, Atkins, E, Johnson, KK, Bao, G, Easley, KA, Josephson, CD. Implementation of a pediatric trauma massive transfusion protocol: one institution's experience. Transfusion 2012;52:1228-1236.
- Hendrickson, JE, Shaz, BH, Pereira, G, Atkins, E, Johnson, KK, Bao, G, Easley, KA, Josephson, CD. Coaguloapathy is prevalent and associated with adverse outcomes in transfused pediatric trauma patients. J Pediatr 2012;160(2):204-209. [PMCID in process]
- Josephson CD, Granger S, Assmann SF, Castillejo MI, Strauss RG, Slichter SJ, Steiner M, Journeycake JM, Thronberg CD, Busell J, Grabowski EF, Neufeld EJ, Savage W, Sloan SR. Bleeding Risks Are Higher in Children versus Adults Given Prophylactic Platelet Transfusions for Treatment Induced Hypoproliferative Thrombocytopenia. Blood 2012;120:748-60. [PMCID: PMC3462047]
- Josephson CD, Glynn S, Kleinman S Blajchman MA. A Multi-disciplinary "Think Tank": The Top 10 Clinical Trial Opportunities in Transfusion Medicine from the NHLBI Sponsored 2009 State of the Science Symposium. Transfusion 2011;51:828-841. [PMCID in process]
- McPherson ME, Anderson AR, Castillejo MI, Hillyer CD, Bray RA, Gebel HM, Josephson CD. HLA Alloimmunization is Associated with RBC Antibodies in Multiple Transfused Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010;54:552-8.
- Josephson CD, Wesolowski A, Bao G, Sola-Visner MC, Dudell G, Easley KA, Castillejo M-I, Shaz BH, Hillyer CD, Maheshwari A. Do Red Cell Transfusions Increase the Risk of Necrotizing Enterocolitis in Premature Infants? J Pediatr 2010;157(6):972-978.
- Slichter SJ, Kaufman R, Assmann SF, McCullough J, Triuluzi D, Strauss RG, Gernsheimer TB, Ness PM, Brecher ME, Josephson CD, Konkle B, Woodson RD, Ortel T, Hillyer CD, Skerrett DL, McCrae K, Sloan SR, Uhl L, George JN, Buchannan G, Manno C, McFarland JG, Hess JR, Leissinger C, Granger S. Dose of Prophylactic Platelet Transfusion and Prevention of Hemorrhage (The PLADO TRIAL, A Transfusion Medicine/Hemostasis Clinical Trials Network Study). N Engl J Med 2010; 362:600-13. [PMCID: 2951321]
- Winkler AM, Sheppard CA, Culler EE, Myers RL, Duncan A, Castillejo MI, Hillyer CD, Josephson CD. Effects of storage duration and volume on the quality of leukoreduced apheresis-derived platelets: implications for pediatric transfusion medicine. Transfusion 2010;50:2193-8. [PMCID: PMC3031076]
- McPherson ME, Anderson AR, Haight AE, Hillyer CD, Castillejo MI, Jessup P, Josephson CD. Transfusion Management of Sickle Cell Patients During Bone Marrow Transplantation with Matched Sibling Donor. Transfusion 2009;49:1977-86.