David D Koch, PhD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Director, Clinical Chemistry, Grady Memorial Hospital
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
B.S. Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1970 - 1974
Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1974 - 1979
- Research Overview I engage in the following research activities:
1. The proper approach to and science behind the evaluation of clinical laboratory methods.
2. Investigation of novel biomarkers for diagnosis and monitoring of disease.
3. Method development and evaluation of clinical laboratory technology for new applications, and for diagnostic reagent and instrument companies.
I serve as Director of Clinical Chemistry, Toxicology, and Point-of-Care Testing at Grady Memorial Hospital. My particular interests include the cost-effective utilization of laboratory medicine for patients with diabetes, cardiovascular problems, and toxicology applications, as well as the reduction of non-analytical sources of error. I am currently Secretary of the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry.
Honors / Awards:
- AACC Chicago Section Annual Research Award, Chicago, IL,, 2000
- "Preferred Partners" Education Grant from Boehringer Mannheim, 1995
- Elected a Fellow of the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, 1993
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- W.D. Paulson, W. L. Roberts, A.A. Lurie, D.D. Koch, A.W. Butch, and J.J. Aguanno, Clinical impact of the wide variation in serum anion gap measurements made by different chemistry analyzers. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 110:735-42 (1998).
- J.B. Watson, K.E. Lee, R. Klein, B.E. Klein, and D.D. Koch, Epidemiological evidence for the disruption of ionized calcium homeostasis in the elderly. J. Clin. Epidemiol. 50:845-9 (1997).
- P.C. Fallest-Strobl, D. D. Koch, J.H. Stein, and P.E. McBride, Homocysteine: a new risk factor for atherosclerosis. Am. Fam. Phys., 56:1607-16 (1997).
- D.D. Koch, How to evaluate and implement new technologies in an era of managed care and cost containment. Clin. Chem. 42:797-806 (1996).
- L. Barker, D.D. Koch, and F.H. Wians Jr., Validation of the DCA 2000 hemoglobin A1C system. Clin. Lab. Sci. 8:331-3 (1995).
- D.D. Koch, F.H. Wians Jr., D. Davis, and D. Burton, Analytical performance characteristics of the T4 method in the Abbott AxSym immunoassay analyzer. Clin. Lab. Sci. 8:327-30 (1995)
- F.H. Wians, Jr., L.B. Baskin, J.H. Keffer, and D.D. Koch, Evaluation and implementation of an immunochemiluminometric assay (ICMA) for quantifying CK-MB concentration. Clin. Lab. Sci. 8:334-8 (1995).
- Y. Shenker, D. Meranda, C. Clinkingbeard, D. Lawrence, and D.D. Koch, Effect of atrial natriuretic hormone on metoclopramide-induced stimulation of aldosterone. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 120:297-304 (1992)
- B.M. Hill, R.H. Laessig, D.D. Koch, and D.J. Hassemer, Comparison of plastic vs. glass evacuated serum-separator (SST") blood-drawing tubes for common clinical chemistry determinations. Clin. Chem. 38:1474-8 (1992).
- D.D. Koch and R.C. Miller, "Half-life" is erroneously used to describe the disappearance of erythrocytes and hemoglobin from the circulation. Clin. Chem. 38:1389-90 (1992).
- D.D. Koch, J.J. Oryall, E.F. Quam, D.H. Feldbruegge, D.E. Dowd, P.L. Barry, and J.O Westgard, Selection of medically useful quality control procedures for individual tests on a multitest analytical system. Clin. Chem. 36:230-233 (1990).
- J.O. Westgard, J.J. Oryall, and D.D. Koch, Predicting effects of QC practices on the cost-effective operation of a stable multitest analytical system. Clin. Chem. 36:1760-1764 (1990).
- D.D. Koch, Fructosamine: How useful is it? Lab. Med. 21:497-503 (1990).
- M.J. Koch, G. Casucci, L.K. Haessig, D.D. Koch, T.E. Parks, R.B. Wise, and W.B. Gray, Blood gas quality control using tonometry. Respiratory Management 19:66-68 (1989).
- D.D. Koch, D.J. Hassemer, D.A. Wiebe, and R.H. Laessig, Testing cholesterol accuracy--performance of several common laboratory instruments. J. Amer. Med. Assoc. 260:2552-2557 (1988).
Book Chapters -
- F.H. Wians, Jr., D.D. Koch, and A. Haara, Quality control and quality assurance, Chap. 8 in Clinical Chemistry Laboratory Management and Clinical Correlations, K. Lewandrowski, Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2002, pp. 81-106.
- D.D. Koch and T. Peters, Jr., Selection and evaluation of methods, Chap. 13 in Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry, 3rd ed., C.A. Burtis and E.R. Ashwood. Eds. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 1999, pp. 320-35.
- D.D. Koch and T. Peters, Jr., Selection and evaluation of methods-- with an introduction to statistical techniques, Chap. 12 in Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry, C.A. Burtis and E.R. Ashwood, Eds. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 1996.
- D.D. Koch and B. Cleveland, Instrumentation for the measurement of blood gases and electrolytes, Chap. 4 in Clinical Laboratory Instrumentation and Automation: Principles, Applications, and Selection; K.M. Ward, C.A. Lehmann, and A.M. Leiken, Eds. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 1994, pp. 93-133.
- D.D. Koch and T. Peters, Jr., Selection and evaluation of methods, Chap. 15 in Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry, 2nd ed., C.A. Burtis and E.R. Ashwood, Eds. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 1994, pp. 508-525.
- D.D. Koch and P.T. Kissinger, Determination of serotonin in serum by liquid chromatography with precolumn sample enrichment and electrochemical detection, Chap. 31 in Clinical Liquid Chromatography, Vol. 2, P.M. Kabra and L.J. Marton, Eds. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Inc., 1983.
- D.D. Koch and P.T. Kissinger, Urinary tryptophan, serotonin and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid by liquid chromatography/electrochemistry, Chap. 30 in Clinical Liquid Chromatography, Vol. 2, P.M. Kabra and L.J. Marton, Eds. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Inc., l983.
- G.C. Davis, W. Jacobs, P.T. Kissinger, D.D. Koch, C.S. Bruntlett, and R.E. Shoup, Reverse-phase chromatography with amperometric detection: the determination of aromatic amino acid metabolites and the activity of related enzymes. Biological/Biomedical Applications of Liquid Chromatography, Vol. 3, G.L. Hawk, Ed. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1981, pp. 247-283.
- G.C. Davis, D.D. Koch, P.T. Kissinger, C.S. Bruntlett, and R.E. Shoup, Determination of tyrosine and tryptophan metabolites in body fluids using electrochemical detection. Chap. 12 in Liquid Chromatography in Clinical Analysis, P.M. Kabra and L.J. Marton, Eds. Clifton, NJ: Humana Press, Inc., 1981.
Books Edited and Written -
- R.E. Vanderlinde, J. Goodwin, D. Koch, D. Scheer, S. Steindel, and G. Cembrowski, Guidelines for Providing Quality Stat Laboratory Services. Washington, DC: AACC Press, 1987.
Other Publications -
- D.D. Koch, Handbook of Interpretation of Diagnostic Tests, by Jacques Wallach. Clin. Chem. 45:722 (1999).
- D.J. Hassemer, D.A. Wiebe, R.H. Laessig, and D.D. Koch, Testing cholesterol accuracy. Letter to the Editor, J. Amer. Med. Assoc. 263:375-376 (1990).
- J.H. Ladenson, F.S. Apple, J.J. Aguanno, and D.D. Koch, Nutriumbestimmung bei Multiplem Myelom: ein Vergleich ziveier Techniken. Git. Lab. Med. 6:176 (1983).