Krisztina Z Hanley, MD
Cytopathology, Gynecologic and Breast Pathology
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Associate Professor, Emory Clinic
- Medical Director of Macroscopy and Gross Rooms, Emory University Hospital and Emory University Hospital at Midtown
- Rotation Director, Gynecologic Pathology, Department of Pathology at Emory University Hospital
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical Doctor University of Pecs, Medical and Health Sciences Centre, Pecs, Hungary, 1995 - 2001
AP/CP residency University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, 2003 - 2007
Cytopathology Fellow Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, 2007 - 2008
Gynecologic Pathology Fellow University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 2008 - 2009
My primary research focus is on clinicopathologic study of gynecologic malignancies in young women. In addition I`m involved in the ongoing GOG studies within the Emory Health System and a smaller projects related to the role of HPV in cervical carcinogenesis.
My primary clinical contribution is divided between surgical pathology (gynecologic and breast service) and cytopathology. About 60% of my professional time is dedicated to these two clinical services. Additional contributions to clinical services include: ¿ Expended the volume of Gynecologic Pathology Expert Consultation Service with over 300% increase in volume from 2011 to 2016. ¿ Pathology coordinator: Interdisciplinary Gynecologic Oncologic Tumor Board. ¿ Medical Director of Gross rooms, Emory University Hospital and Emory University Hospital at Midtown.
Honors / Awards:
- ¿Golden Apple¿ Award for contribution to Resident Education in Anatomic Pathology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, 2016,
- Global Young Investigator Poster Award. Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP) Global Congress. April 5-7, 2017. Berlin, Germany.,
- The Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology Resident Research Award, 1st Place; March, 2017.,
- Summa Cum Laude (University of Pecs Medical and Health Sciences Centre)., 2001
- American Board of Pathology - Anatomical and Clinical Pathology
- American Board of Pathology - Cytopathology
- Recertified in Anatomic, Clinical and Cytopathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Hanley KZ, Dureau ZJ, Cohen C., Shin DM, Owonikoko TK, Sica GL: Orthopedia Homeobox (OTP) is preferentially expressed in typical carcinoids of the lung Cancer Cytopathology (In press)
- Wang XJ, Gwin K, Hanley KZ, Hecht JL, Jarboe EA, Liang SX, Quick V, Zheng W, Desouki MM, Fadare O: The Significance of L1CAM Expression in Clear Cell Carcinoma of the Endometrium Histopathology 2017 September
- Fadare O, Desouki MM, Gwin K, Hanley KZ, Jarboe EA, Liang SX, Quick CM, Rawish KR, Roma A, Zheng W, Hecht JL, Parkash V, Osunkoya AO: Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma Metastatic to the Gynecologic Tract: A Clinicopathologic Analysis of 17 Cases Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2017 Nov
- Avadhani V, Hacihasanoglu E, Hanley KZ, Krishnamurti U, Krasinskas AM, Osunkoya AO, Daniels L, Freedman F, Goodman M, Adsay V, Reid M.: Cytologic Predictors of Malignancy in Bile Duct Brushings: A Multi-Reviewer Analysis of 60 Cases. Modern Pathology 2017 Sep;30(9):1273-1286
- Sangoi AR, Kshirsagar M, Roma AA, Horvai AE, Chivukula M, Ellenson LH, Fadare O, Folkins AK, Garg K, Hanley K, Longacre T, Haas J, McCluggage WG, McKenney JK, Nucci MR, Oliva E, Park K, Parkash V, Quick CM, Rabban JT, Rutgers J, Soslow R, Vang R, Yemelyanova A, Zaloudek C, Beck AH: Interobserver Reproducibility Among Gynecologic Pathologists in Diagnosing Osteosarcomatous Components in Gynecologic Tract Carcinosarcomas Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2017 Jul;36(4):386-392
- Rubinsak L, Cohen C, Khanna N, Horowitz I, Hanley KZ: Folate receptor alpha expression in platinum resistant/refractory ovarian carcinomas and primary endocervical adenocarcinomas Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2016 Dec 9.
- Hanley KZ, Fadare O, Fisher KE, Atkins KA, Mosunjac MB: Clinical significance of positive pelvic washings in uterine serous papillary carcinoma confined to an endometrial polyp Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2016 May;35(3):249-55.
- Martinez AP, Cohen C, Hanley K and Li XB: Estrogen receptor and Cytokeratin 5 are reliable markers to separate usual ductal hyperplasia from atypical ductal hyperplasia and low grade ductal carcinoma in situ, Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2016 Jul;140(7):686-9
- Hanley KZ, Fadare O, Fisher KE, Atkins KA, Mosunjac MB: Clinical significance of positive pelvic washings in uterine serous papillary carcinoma confined to an endometrial polyp. Int. J. of Gynecol. Pathology (In press)
- Martinez AP, Cohen C, Hanley K and Li X: ER and CK5 are reliable markers to separate usual ductal hyperplasia from ADH and low grade DCIS. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (accepted).
- Ciszak T, Mittal PK, Sullivan P, Cardona K, Hanley KZ, Khanna N, Moreno CC: MR imaging features of disseminated uterine leiomyosarcoma presenting 18 months after elective hysterectomy with morcellation. Abdom Imaging. 2015 Oct;40(7):2600-5
- Fata CR, Seeley E, Du L, Shyr Y, Parkash V, Zheng W, Hecht J, Quick C, Jarboe E, Desouki MM, Gwin K, Hanley K, Liang SX, Caprioli R, Fadare O: Are Clear Cell Carcinomas of the Ovary and Endometrium Phenotypically Identical? A Proteomic Analysis. Hum Pathol. 2015 Oct;46(10):1427-36.
- Hanley KZ, Oprea GI, Ormenisan C, Seydafkan S, Mosunjac MB: Atypical findings on cervicovaginal smear correlate with cervical involvement by Malignant Mixed Mullerian Tumors of the uterus. Acta Cytol. 2015 Oct;59(4):319-24.
- Moreno CC, Sullivan PS, Kalb BT, Tipton RG, Hanley KZ, Kitajima HD, Dixon WT, Votaw JR, Oshinski JN, Mittal PK: Magnetic resonance imaging of rectal cancer: staging and restaging evaluation. Abdom Imaging. 2015 Mar 11.
- Swadley MJ, Deliu M, Mosunjac MB, Gunthel CJ, Nguyen ML, Hanley KZ: Primary and Secondary Hepatic Lymphomas Diagnosed by Image-Guided Fine Needle Aspiration: A Retrospective Study of Clinical and Cytomorphological Findings. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 Jan; 141(1):119-27
Other Publications -
- Hanley KZ: Rosen`s Breast Pathology (Book Review) American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 38(10):1450, October 2014.