Gabriel Sica, MD, PhD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Email Address: email@example.com
B.Sc(Agr) McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 1992 - 1995
MD PhD Mayo Medical and Graduate School, Rochester, MN, 1995 - 2003
Internal Medicine Internship Rhode Island and Miriam Hospitals, Brown University Internal Medicine, Providence, R.I., 2003 - 2004
Residency Anatomic Pathology - New York Hospital - Weill Cornell, 2004 - 2007
Thoracic Pathology Fellowship Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, N.Y., 2007 - 2008
Surgical Oncologic Pathology Fellowship Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, 2008 - 2009
I have special interests in correlating tumor histology with the underlying molecular alterations of a particular tumor and probing the role of tumor stroma in the facilitation/inhibition of tumor growth and metastasis. I am especially interested in the role of the inflammatory stroma in facilitating and promoting phenotypic alterations, such as increased chemotaxis and angioinvasion.
I am also interested in mining the published microarray expression databases in an attempt to identify prognostically useful genetic markers with subsequent confirmation utilizing fresh frozen human tissue and paraffin embedded formalin fixed archived tissues.
My clinical interests lie primarily in the pathology of the lungs, pleura and mediastinum. I am especially interested in the pathology of neuroendocrine tumors of the lung such as typical carcinoids, atypical carcinoid, small cell carcinoma and large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma.
- American Board of Pathology - Anatomic Pathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Garg K, Leitao MM Jr, Wynveen CA, Sica GL, Shia J, Shi W, Soslow RA. p53 overexpression in morphologically ambiguous endometrial carcinomas correlates with adverse clinical outcomes. Mod Pathol. 2010 Jan;23(1):80-92. Epub 2009 Oct 23.
- Robinson BD, Sica GL, Liu YF, Rohan TE, Gertler FB, Condeelis JS, Jones JG. Tumor microenvironment of metastasis in human breast carcinoma: a potential prognostic marker linked to hematogenous dissemination. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Apr 1;15(7):2433-41.
- Wagner, P, Hyjek, E, Vazquez, M, Meherally, D, Liu, YF, Chadwick, P, Rengifo, T, Sica, G, Port, J, Lee, P, Subruto, P, Altorki, N, Saqi, A. CXCL12 and CXCR4 in adenocarcinoma of the lung: Association with metastasis and survival. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Mar;137(3):615-21
- Sica G, Wagner PL, Altorki N, Port J, Lee PC, Vazquez MF, Saqi A. Immunohistochemical expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors in primary pulmonary neuroendocrine tumors. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008 Dec;132(12):1889-95.
- Sica G, Vazquez M F, Altorki N, Port J, Lee PC, Liu Y, Hyjek E, Saqi A, PAX-5 Expression in Pulmonary Neuroendocrine Neoplasms. Its Usefulness in Surgical and Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy Specimens. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008 Apr;129(4):556-62.
- Choi IH, Zhu G, Sica GL, Strome SE, Cheville JC, Lau JS, Zhu Y, Flies DB, Tamada K, Chen L. Genomic organization and expression analysis of B7-H4, an immune inhibitory molecule of the B7 family. J Immunol. 2003 Nov 1;171(9):4650-4.
- Sica GL, Choi IH, Zhu G, Tamada K, Wang SD, Tamura H, Chapoval AI, Flies DB, Bajorath J, Chen L. B7-H4, a molecule of the B7 family, negatively regulates T cell immunity. Immunity. 2003 Jun;18(6):849-61.
- Sica GL, Zhu G, Tamada K, Liu D, Ni J, Chen L. RELT, a new member of the tumor necrosis factor receptor superfamily, is selectively expressed in hematopoietic tissues and activates transcription factor NF-kappa B. Blood. 2001 May 1;97(9):2702-7.
- Tamura H, Dong H, Zhu G, Sica GL, Flies DB, Tamada K, Chen L. B7-H1 costimulation preferentially enhances CD28-independent T-helper cell function. Blood. 2001 Mar 15;97(6):1809-16.
- Chapoval AI, Ni J, Lau JS, Wilcox RA, Flies DB, Liu D, Dong H, Sica GL, Zhu G, Tamada K, Chen L. B7-H3: a costimulatory molecule for T cell activation and IFN-gamma production. Nat Immunol. 2001 Mar;2(3):269-74.
- Tamada K, Shimozaki K, Chapoval AI, Zhu G, Sica G, Flies D, Boone T, Hsu H, Fu YX, Nagata S, Ni J, Chen L. Modulation of T-cell-mediated immunity in tumor and graft-versus-host disease models through the LIGHT co-stimulatory pathway. Nat Med. 2000 Mar;6(3):283-9.
Book Chapters -
- Sica G, Chen L. Modulation of the immune response through 4-1BB. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2000;465:355-62.