Michelle D Reid, MD, MS
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Director, Cytopathology, Emory University Hospital
- Director, Cytopathology Fellowship Program, Emory University School of Medicine
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
MBBS University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica, 1990 - 1995
Internship Kingston Public Hospital, Kingston, Jamaica, 1995 - 1996
Resident, Anatomic Pathology University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica, 1997 - 2000
Resident, Anatomic & Clinical Pathology Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, 2000 - 2003
Chief Resident Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, 2003 - 2004
Cytopathology Fellowship Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, 2004 - 2005
MS, Clinical & Translational Science Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 2008 - 2010
- Cytopathology of the pancreatobiliary tract My current research interests include the use of molecular markers and fluorescence in situ hybridization in the cytohistologic diagnosis of pancreatobiliary neoplasms.
Honors / Awards:
- Section Editor, Cytopathology, Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, 2012 - present
- M.S., Clinical and Translational Science, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 2010
- Chief Resident, Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, 2003-2004
- Gerrit Bras Award for Outstanding Performance in Anatomic Pathology, University of the West Indies, Jamaica, 1999
- Anatomic & Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- T Muraki, B Memis, MD Reid, T Uehara, T Ito, O Hasebe, S Okaniwa, N Horigome, T Hisa, P Mittal, A Freedman, S Maithel, JM Sarmiento, A Krasinskas, J Koshiol, V Adsay. 2017. Reflux-associated Cholecystopathy: Analysis of 76 Gallbladders from Patients with Supra-Oddi Union of the Pancreatic Duct and Common Bile Duct (Pancreatobiliary Maljunction) Elucidates a Specific Diagnostic Pattern of Mucosal Hyperplasia as a Prelude to Carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. Jun 15. doi: 10.1097/PAS. [Epub ahead of print]
- V Avadhani, E Hacihasanoglu, B Memis, B Pehlivanoglu, KZ Hanley, U Krishnamurti, AM Krasinskas, AO Osunkoya, LM Daniels, AA Freedman, M Goodman, V Adsay, MD Reid. 2017. Cytologic Predictors of Malignancy in Bile Duct Brushings: A Multi-Reviewer Analysis of 60 Cases. Mod Pathol Jun 30. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2017.51. [Epub ahead of print].
- Y Xue, MD Reid, S Balci, B Quigley, T Muraki, B Memis, J Xia, E Hacihasanoglu, G Bedolla, B Pehlivanoglu, GE Kim, T Tajiri, N Ohike, R Aneja, AM Krasinskas, V Adsay. 2017. Immunohistochemical Classification of Ampullary Carcinomas: Critical Reappraisal Fails to Confirm Prognostic Relevance for Recently Proposed Panels, and Highlights MUC5AC as a Strong Prognosticator. Am J Surg Pathol. Jul;41(7):865-876.
- K Mittal, S Donthamsetty, R Kaur, C Yang, M Gupta, MD Reid, D Choi, P Rida, R Aneja. 2017. Multinucleated polyploidy drives resistance to Docetaxel chemotherapy in prostate cancer. Br J Cancer. Apr 25;116(9):1186-1194.
- MD Reid, T Muraki, K HooKim, B Memis, RP Graham, D Allende, J Shi, DF Schaeffer, R Singh, O Basturk, V Adsay. 2017. Cytologic Features and Clinical Implications of Undifferentiated Carcinoma with Osteoclastic Giant Cells of Pancreas; An Analysis of 15 Cases. Cancer Cytopathol. Jul;125(7):563-575.
- K Zhelnin, Y Xue, B Quigley, MD Reid, H Choi, B Memis, V Adsay, AM Krasinskas. 2017. Nonmucinous Biliary Epithelium is a Frequent Finding and is Often the Predominant Epithelial Type in Mucinous Cystic Neoplasms of the Pancreas and Liver. Am J Surg Pathol 2017 Jan;41(1):116-120.
- A Ogden, C Garlapati, XB Li, R Turaga, N Wright, S Bhattarai, K Mittal, C Wetherilt, U Krishnamurti, MD Reid, M Jones, M Gupta, R Osan, S Pattni, A Riaz, S Klimov, A Rao, G Cantuaria, P Rida, R Aneja. 2017. Multi-institutional study of nuclear KIFC1 as a biomarker of poor prognosis in African American women with triple-negative breast cancer. Sci Rep Feb 20;7:42289. doi: 10.1038/srep42289.
- N Wright, J Xia, G Cantuaria, S Klimov, M Jones, P Neema, D Il'yasova, U Krishnamurti, XB Li, M Reid, M Gupta, P Rida, R Osan, R Aneja. 2017. Distinctions in Breast Tumor Recurrence Patterns Post-therapy among Racially Distinct Populations. PLoS One Jan 13;12(1):e0170095. doi:10.1371/
- A Krasinskas, GJ Oakley, P Bagci, K-T Jang, S-F Kuan, MD Reid, CE Hill, I Erbarut, V Adsay. 2017. "Simple Mucinous Cyst" of the Pancreas: A Clinicopathologic Analysis of 39 Examples of a Diagnostically Challenging Entity Distinct from Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms and Mucinous Cystic Neoplasms. Am J Surg Pathol. Jan;41(1):121-127.
- O Basturk, V Adsay, G Askan, D Dhall, G Zamboni, M Shimizu, K Cymes, F Carneiro, S Balci, C Sigel, MD Reid, I Esposito, H Baldaia, P Allen, G Klöppel, DS Klimstra. 2017. Intraductal Tubulopapillary Neoplasm of the Pancreas: A Clinicopathologic and Immunohistochemical Analysis of 33 Cases. Am J Surg Pathol. Mar;41(3):313-325.
- K Mittal, D Hoon Choi, A Ogden, S Donthamsetty, BD Melton, MV Gupta, V Pannu, G Cantuaria, S Varambally, MD Reid, K Jonsdottir, EAM Janssen, MA Aleskandarany, IO Ellis, EA Rakha, PCG Rida, R Aneja. 2017. Amplified centrosomes and mitotic index display poor concordance between patient tumors and cultured cancer cells. Sci Rep Mar 8;7:43984. doi: 10.1038/srep43984.
- MD Reid, O Basturk, WL Shaib, S Balci, H-J Choi, G Akkas, B Memis, BS Robinson, BF El-Rayes, CA Staley, CA Staley, JH Winer, MC Russell, JH Knight, M Goodman, AM Krasinskas, V Adsay. Adenocarcinoma ex-goblet cell carcinoid (appendiceal-type crypt cell adenocarcinoma) is a morphologically distinct entity with highly aggressive behavior and frequent association with peritoneal/intra-abdominal dissemination: an analysis of 77 cases. Mod Pathol. 2016. Oct;29(10):1243-1253.
- R Gonzalez, P Bagci, O Basturk, MD Reid, S Balci, J Knight, SY Kong, B Memis, K-T Jang, N Ohike, T Tajiri, S Bandyopadhyay, A Krasinskas, G Kim, J Cheng, V Adsay. Intrapancreatic distal common bile duct carcinoma: analysis, staging considerations, and comparison with pancreatic ductal and ampullary adenocarcinomas. Mod Pathol. 2016 Nov;29(11):1358-1369.
- J Guarner, AM Winkler, L Flowers, CE Hill, JE Ellis, K Workowski, MD Reid, J Goedken. Development, implementation and evaluation of an interdisciplinary women's health and laboratory course. Am J Clin Pathol. J Guarner, AM Winkler, L Flowers, CE Hill, JE Ellis, K Workowski, MD Reid, J Goedken. 2016. Development, implementation and evaluation of an interdisciplinary women's health and laboratory course. Am J Clin Pathol. Sep;146(3):369-372.
- T Muraki, MD Reid, O Basturk, K-T Jang, G Bedolla, P Bagci, P Mittal, B Memis, N Katabi, S Bandyopadhyay, JM. Sarmiento, A Krasinskas, DS. Klimstra, V Adsay. 2016. Undifferentiated carcinoma with osteoclastic giant cells of the pancreas: clinicopathological analysis of 38 cases highlights a more protracted clinical course than currently appreciated. Am J Surg Pathol. Sep;40(9):1203-1216.
Book Chapters -
- MD Reid, G Akkas, O Basturk, V Adsay. Mixed adenoneuroendocrine carcinoma of pancreas. In: Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Neoplasms: Practical Approach to Diagnosis, Classification, and Therapy. S La Rosa, F Sessa (Eds.). Springer: 2015. ISBN 978-3-319-17234-7.
- MD Reid, BA Centeno. Ancillary Studies, Including Immunohistochemistry and Molecular studies, in Pancreatic Cytology. In the series: Surgical Pathology Clinics. T Elsheikh, Editor: Philadephia, W.B. Saunders Jan 7(1):2014. 1-34.
- MD Reid. Cytology of the Pancreas: A Practical Review for Cytopathologists. In: Adsay NV, Basturk O, Editors. Current Concepts in Surgical Pathology of the Pancreas. Surgical Pathology Clinics . Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 2011. Jun 4(2):651-91. ISBN-13: 978-1-4557-0512-2