Linsheng Zhang, MD, PhD
Molecular Genetic Pathology
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Director, Molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship Program, Emory University School of Medicine
Email Address: email@example.com
MD, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China, 1981 - 1986
Ph.D., Institute of Hematology, Beijing Medical University, China, 1992 - 1995
Residency: Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Medical University of South Carolina, 2007 - 2011
Fellowship: Hematopathology, Emory University, 2011 - 2012
Fellowship: Molecular Genetic Pathology, Emory University, 2012 - 2013
- Genetic profiling of hematologic malignancies and solid tumors It is now widely accepted that cancer is a genetic disorder. Whole genome profiling of human cancer, as well as genetic analysis by re-sequencing panels of genes associated with specific malignancies have not only become a major research tool of discovering new genetic abnormalities associated with individual disease and patient, but also been gradually adapted as routine diagnostic tests in clinical molecular laboratories. Hematopathology has been traditionally, and continues to be the leading field in novel research and discovery of clinically significant genetic abnormalities. I am interested in the genetic profiling of hematologic malignancies including myeloid neoplasms, lymphomas, multiple myeloma, and solid tumors, especially lung cancer and melanoma, using high resolution microarray, RNA-seq, and targeted panel gene sequencing, aiming at bringing these into clinical laboratory as routine diagnostic tests.
I serve as an attending physician on the Hematopathology and Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory services at Emory University Hospital. My clinical focus includes diagnostic hematopathology integrating morphologic examination, flow cytometric immunophenotyping, cytogenetics, FISH, and microarray studies; and molecular diagnosis of solid tumors.
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- Molecular Genetic Pathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Shiyong Li, David L. Jaye, Kyle T. Bradley, Linsheng Zhang, Debra Saxe, George Deeb, Charlie E. Hill, and Karen P. Mann. Multi-Modality Technologies in the Assessment of Hematolymphoid Neoplasms (Review Article). Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017;141(3):341-354. PMID: 28055240.
- Kurtis D. Davies, Midhat S. Farooqi1, Mike Gruidl, Thomas M. Schneider, Julie Woolworth Hirschhorn, Heather Jones, Kenneth L. Jones, Anthony Magliocco, Midori Mitui, Rebecca O'Rourke, Nirali M. Patel, Dahui Qin, Erica Ramos, Michael R. Rossi, Charles E. Hill, Geoffrey H. Smith, Linsheng Zhang, Jason Y. Park, Dara L. Aisner. FASTQ file exchange as a means of multi-institutional proficiency testing for bioinformatic processing of next-generation sequencing data. J Mol Diagn 2016; 18(4):572-579. PMID: 27155050.
- Kevin Fisher, Linsheng Zhang, Jason Wang, et, al. Clinical Validation and Implementation of a Targeted Next-Generation Sequencing Assay to Detect Somatic Variants in Non-Small Cell Lung, Melanoma, and Gastrointestinal Malignancies. J Mol Diagn. 2016;18(2):299-315. PMID: 26801070
- Cheryl L. Maier, Kevin E. Fisher, Charles E. Hill, Karen P. Mann, Linsheng Zhang. Development and Validation of CALR Mutation Testing for Clinical Use in the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015;144(5):738-45. PMID: 26486738
- Linsheng Zhang, Ruan T. Ramjit, Charles E. Hill, Martha Arellano, H. Jean Khoury, Karen P. Mann. Clinical significance of quantitative monitoring and mutational analysis of BCR-ABL1 transcript in Philadelphia chromosome positive B lymphoblastic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2016; 57(2): 364-369 PMID: 25573206.
- Linsheng Zhang, Michael R. Rossi, Kevin E. Fisher. Molecular Genomics of Cancer, Section II. hematolymphoid malignancies (Review Article). Curr Problems Cancer. 2014;38(5):159-74. PMID: 25239561
- Christina B. Duckworth, Linsheng Zhang, Shiyong Li. Systemic mastocytosis with associated myeloproliferative neoplasm with t(8;19)(p12;q13.1) and abnormality of FGFR1: report of a unique case. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014;7(2):801-7. PMID: 24551307
- Weiwei Chen, Ronald Jaffe, Linsheng Zhang, Charlie Hill, Anne Marie Block, Sheila Sait, Boer Song, Yunguang Liu, Donghong Cai. Langerhans cell sarcoma arising from chronic lymphocytic lymphoma/small lymphocytic leukemia: lineage analysis and BRAF V600E mutation study. N Am J Med Sci. 2013; 5: 386-391. PMID: 23923114
- Linsheng Zhang, Sherine S. L. Chan, and Daynna J. Wolff. Mitochondrial Disorders of DNA Polymerase gamma Dysfunction: From Anatomic to Molecular Pathology Diagnosis (Review Article). Arch Path Lab Med. 2011, 135(7): 925-934. PMID:21732785
- Linsheng Zhang, Iya Znoyko, Luciano J. Costa, Laura K. Conlin, Robert D. Daber, Sally E. Self, Daynna J. Wolff. Clonal Diversity Analysis using SNP Microarray: A New Prognostic Tool for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Cancer Genetics. 2011; 204(12): 654-665. PMID:22285017
- Linsheng Zhang, Florence B. Fried, Hong Guo, and Alan D. Friedman. Cyclin-dependent kinase phosphorylation of RUNX1/AML1 on 3 sites increases transactivation potency and stimulates cell proliferation. Blood. 2008; 111: 1193-200. PMID:18003885
- Linsheng Zhang, Jenice D'Costa, Tanawan Kummalue, Curt I. Civin, and Alan D. Friedman. Identification of a region on the outer surface of the CBFB-SMMHC myeloid oncoprotein assembly competence domain critical for multimerization. Oncogene, 2006; 25: 7289-96. PMID:16767164
- Guangyong Ji, Wuhong Pei, Linsheng Zhang, Rongde Qiu, Jianqun Lin, Yvonne Benito, Gerard Lina, and Richard P. Novick. Staphylococcus intermedius Produces a Functional agr Autoinducing Peptide Containing a Cyclic Lactone. J Bacteriol, 2005; 187:3139-50. PMID:15838041
- Rongde Qiu, Wuhong Pei, Linsheng Zhang, Jianqun Lin, and Guangyong Ji. Identification of the Putative Staphylococcal AgrB Catalytic Residues Involving the Proteolytic Cleavage of AgrD to Generate Autoinducing Peptide. J Biol Chem, 2005; 280: 16695-16704. PMID:15734745
- Linsheng Zhang, Jianqun Lin and Guangyong Ji. Membrane anchoring of the AgrD N-terminal amphipathic region is required for its processing to produce a quorum sensing pheromone in Staphylococcus aureus. J Biol Chem, 2004; 279: 19448-56. PMID:15001569