Ross M Fasano, MD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Attending Physician, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Emory University
Director of Apheresis, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
Assistant Director, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Transfusion Service, Emory University
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
BS University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign, 1995 - 1999
MD The Ohio State University, School of Medicine, 1999 - 2003
Pediatric residency Rush University Medical Center, Chicago IL, 2003 - 2006
Pediatric Hematology/Oncology fellowship Children's National Medical Center, George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington DC, 2006 - 2010
Transfusion Medicine fellowship National Institutes of Health, Bethesda MD, 2008 - 2010
- Red blood cell alloimmunization Dr. Fasano and his group are interested in understanding the immunologic mechanisms involved in RBC alloimmunization in patients with sickle cell disease (SCD). In collaboration with other investigators, Dr. Fasano has demonstrated a direct role of recipient inflammation on alloimmunization, and continues to investigate immunologic mechanisms involved in alloimmunization. Conceived from murine model data illustrating that transfusion in the presence of pro-inflammatory signals results in higher rates and magnitude of alloimmunization, his group published a large retrospective study in a large human SCD cohort demonstrating that that recipient pro-inflammatory state, most notably acute chest syndrome (ACS) at the time of transfusion, directly impacts RBC alloimmunization. In collaboration with other investigators at Emory, he is currently conducting two follow up translational research studies evaluating immunologic mechanisms involved in RBC alloimmunization overall, and specifically why the frequency is highest during SCD patients during ACS.
Dr. Ross Fasano is an Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at Emory University School of Medicine. He also has an adjunct appointment in Adult Hematology and provides comprehensive care to adult patients with sickle cell disease at Grady Memorial Hospital. His clinical expertise is in pediatric transfusion and hematology, with an emphasis on chronic transfusion therapy for children and adults with sickle cell disease. He is trained in Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, and Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine. He is the Assistant Director of the transfusion service and Director of Apheresis at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. During his training and subsequent practice of medicine, he has had extensive clinical experience in managing heavily alloimmunized and iron overloaded patients with sickle cell disease.
Honors / Awards:
- NIH Loan Repayment Program for Clinical Research Award Recipient, 2017-2019
- NIH Loan Repayment Program for Clinical Research Award Recipient, 2015-2017
- American Board of Pediatrics.
- American Board of Pathology, Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine.
- American Board of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Sagiv E*, Fasano RM*, Luban NL, Josephson CD, Stowell SR, Roback JD, Francis RO, Yee MEM. Glucose-6-Phosphate-Dehydrogenase Deficient Red Blood Cell Units are Associated with Decreased Post-Transfusion Red Blood Cell Survival in Children with Sickle Cell Disease. Am J Hematol. 2018 Jan 27. PMID: 29377292 * Co-first authors
- Runco DV, Josephson CD, Raikar SS, Goldsmith K, Lew G, Pauly M, Fasano RM. Hyperleukocytosis in Infant Acute Leukemia: A Role for Manual Exchange Transfusion for Leukoreduction. Transfusion. 2018 Feb 4. PMID: 29399859
- Maier CL, Gross PJ, Dean CL, Ip A, McLemore M, El Rassi F, Josephson CD, Fasano RM. Transfusion-Transmitted Malaria Masquerading as Sickle Cell Crisis with Multisystem Organ Failure. Transfusion. 2018 Mar 9. PMID: 29524230
- Fish A, Rollins MR, Langley P, King M, Forney C, Josephson CD, Fasano RM. Twiddler's syndrome in an adolescent female with an apheresis port. Transfusion. 2018 Feb;58(2):280-281. PMID: 29411399
- Sullivan HC, Gerner-Smidt C, Nooka AK, Arthur CM, Thompson L, Mener A, Patel SR, Yee M, Fasano RM, Josephson CD, Kaufman RM, Roback JD, Lonial S, Stowell SR. Daratumumab (anti-CD38) induces loss of CD38 on red blood cells. Blood. 2017 Jun 1;129(22):3033-3037
- Yee MEM, Josephson CD, Winkler AM, Webb J, Luban NL, Leong T, Stowell SR, Fasano RM. Red Blood Cell Minor Antigen Mismatches during Chronic Transfusion Therapy for Sickle Cell Anemia Transfusion. Transfusion. 2017 Nov;57(11):2738-2746. PMID: 28840600
- Meier ER, Fasano RM, Levett PR. A systematic review of the literature for severity predictors in children with sickle cell anemia, Blood Cells Mol Dis Feb 2017. PMID: 28185829
- Pecker LH, Guerrera MF, Loechelt B, Massaro A, Abraham AA, Fasano RM, Meier ER. Homozygous ¿-thalassemia: Challenges surrounding early identification, treatment, and cure. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2016 Aug 30. PMID: 27573913
- Kaushal M, Byrnes C, Khademian Z, Duncan N, Luban NL, Miller JL, Fasano RM*, Meier ER*. Examination of Reticulocytosis among Chronically Transfused Children with Sickle Cell Anemia. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 26; 11(4):e0153244. PMID: 27116614 (*co-last authors)
- Fasano RM, Leong T, Kaushal M, Sagiv E, Luban NL, Meier ER. Effectiveness of red blood cell exchange, partial manual exchange, and simple transfusion concurrently with iron chelation therapy in reducing iron overload in chronically transfused sickle cell anemia patients. Transfusion. 2016 Jul; 56(7):1707-15. PMID: 26997031
- Meier ER, Fasano RM, Estrada M, He J, Luban NL, McCarter R. Early reticulocytosis and anemia are associated with abnormal and conditional transcranial Doppler velocities in children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr. 2016 Feb; 169:227-231. PMID: 26593107
- Tatari-Calderone Z, Gordish-Dressman H, Fasano R, Riggs M, Fortier C, Campbell AD, Charron D, Gordeuk VR, Luban NL, Vukmanovic S, Tamouza R. Protective effect of HLA-DQB1 alleles against alloimunization in patients with sickle cell disease. Hum Immunol. 2016 Jan; 77(1):35-40. PMID: 26476208
- Nickel RS, Hendrickson JE, Fasano RM, Meyer EK, Winkler AM, Yee MM, Lane PA, Jones YA, Pashankar FD, New T, Josephson CD, Stowell SR. Impact of red blood cell alloimmunization on sickle cell disease mortality: a case series. Transfusion. 2016 Jan; 56(1):107-14. PMID: 26509333
- Fasano RM, Booth GS, Miles M, Du L, Koyama T, Meier ER, Luban NC. Red Blood Cell Alloimmunization is influenced by Recipient Inflammatory State at Time of Transfusion in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. Br J Haematol. 2015 Jan; 168(2):291-300. PMID: 25256676
- Saini S, Speller-Brown B, Wyse E, Meier ER, Carpenter J, Fasano RM, Pearl MS. Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms in Children With Sickle Cell Disease: Analysis of 18 Aneurysms in 5 Patients. Neurosurgery. 2015 May; 76(5):531-8. PMID: 25710108
Book Chapters -
- Hendrickson JE, Fasano RM. Transfusion Support of the Patient with Sickle Cell Disease Undergoing Transplantation. In Meier ER, Abraham A, Fasano RM eds. Sickle Cell Disease and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation, 1st edition. Springer International, New York, NY; 2017: 111-136.
- Fasano RM. T-Activation. In Quillen K ed. Transfusion Medicine in the Hot Seat: A case-based primer. CAP Press, Northfield IL: 2016:31-4
- Fasano RM, Hendrickson JE, Luban NL. Alloimmune Hemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn. In Kaushansky K, Lichtman M, Beutler E, Kipps T, Prchal J, Seligsohn U eds. Williams Hematology, 9th edition. McGraw-Hill Professional, New York, NY: 2016:847-62.
- Fasano RM. Hyperkalemia in pediatric massive transfusion. In Quillen K ed. Transfusion Medicine in the Hot Seat: A case-based primer. CAP Press, Northfield IL: 2016:80-3.
- Fasano RM, Said M, Luban NL. Blood Component Therapy for the Neonate. In RJ Martin, AA Fanaroff eds. Fanaroff & Martin's Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, 10th edition. St. Louis, MO: 2014:1344-61.
- Fasano RM, Luban NL. Transfusion Practices. In De Alarcon P, Wermer E eds. Neonatal Hematology. 2nd edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK: 2013:303-327.
- Fasano RM, Paul WP. Transfusions. In MacDonald MG, Ramasethu J eds. Atlas of Procedures in Neonatology. 5th edition. Lippincott; Philadelphia PA 2012: p 303-15.
- Fasano RM, Paul WP, Pisciotto, PT. Complications of Neonatal Transfusion, in M.A. Popovsky Ed. Transfusion Reactions. 4th edition AABB Press, Bethesda, MD: 2012:471-518.
- Fasano R, Luban NL. Blood Component Therapy for the Neonate. In RJ Martin, AA Fanaroff eds. Fanaroff & Martin's Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, 9th edition. St. Louis, MO: 2010:1360-74.
Books Edited and Written -
- Sickle Cell Disease and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Meier ER, Abraham A, Fasano RM eds, (1st edition). Springer International, New York, NY; 2017.
Other Publications -
- Fasano RM, Sullivan HC, Bray R, Gebel H, Meyer EK, Winkler AM, Josephson CD, Stowell SR, Duncan A, Roback JD. Genotyping applications for transplantation and transfusion management: The Emory Experience. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017 Mar;141(3):329-340. PMID: 28234571
- Fasano RM. Hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn in the molecular era. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016 Feb; 21(1):28-34. (Review article) PMID: 26589360
- Fasano RM, Chou ST. Red Blood Cell Antigen Genotyping for Sickle Cell Disease, Thalassemia, and Other Transfusion Complications. Transfus Med Rev. 2016 May 28. (Review article) PMID: 27345938
- Chou ST, Fasano RM. Management of Patients with Sickle Cell Disease Using Transfusion Therapy: Guidelines and Complications. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2016 Jun; 30(3):591-608. (Review article) PMID: 27112998
- Fasano RM, Josephson CD. Platelet transfusion goals in oncology patients. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2015 Dec; 2015(1):462-70. (Review article) PMID: 26637759
- Fasano RM, Meier ER, Hulbert ML. Cerebral vasculopathy in children with sickle cell anemia. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2015 Jan; 54(1):17-25. (Review article) PMID: 25294561
- Fasano R, Luban NL. Blood component therapy. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2008 Apr; 55(2): 421-45. (Review) PMID: 18381094