Christopher C Griffith, MD, PhD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Program Director, Head & Neck / Endocrine Pathology Instructorship, Emory University School of Medicine
Director, Head & Neck / Endocrine Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine
Email Address: email@example.com
M.D., Ph.D. State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, 2002 - 2010
Resident: Anatomic Pathology University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, 2010 - 2013
Fellow: Head & Neck/Endocrine Pathology University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, 2013 - 2014
Fellow: Cytopathology University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, 2014 - 2015
Salivary gland tumor diagnosis on aspiration cytology specimens using pattern based risk stratification and histologic classification and prognostication using immunohistochemical markers
Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma immune microenvironment effect on prognosis and treatment
Head and Neck / Endocrine Pathology including diseases of the upper aerodigestive tract, salivary glands, and thyroid gland
Honors / Awards:
- "Golden Apple" Award for contribution to Resident Education in Anatomic Pathology, Emory University Department of Pathology, 2017
- Geno Saccomanno New Frontiers in Cytology Award for best scientific paper describing new methods/modifications in cytopathology at the American Society of Cytopathology 64th Annual scientific Meeting, 2016
- Chief Resident, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Department of Pathology, 2012-13
- North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, Leon Barnes Award for Best Poster Presentation at the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists Annual Meeting, 2012
- Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Point du Jour K, Schmitt AC, Chen AY, Griffith CC. Application of current strict for noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasm with papillary-like nuclear features (NIFTP) and encapsulated follicular variant papillary thyroid carcinoma: A retrospective study of 50 tumors previously diagnosed as follicular variant PTC. Endocr Path. 2018 Jan 24.
- Griffith CC, Schmitt AC, Pantanowitz L, Monaco SE. A pattern-based risk stratification scheme for salivary gland cytology: A multi-institutional interobserver variability study to determine applicability. Cancer. 2017 Aug 21.
- Pynnonen MA, Gillespie MB, Roman B, Rosenfeld RM, Tunkel DE, Bontempo L, Brook I, Chick DA, Colandrea M, Finestone SA, Fowler JC, Griffith CC, Henson Z, Levine C, Mehta V, Salama A, Scharpf J, Shatzkes DR, Stern WB, Youngerman JS, Corrigan MD. Clinical practice guideline: Evaluation of the neck mass in adults. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Sep;157(2_suppl):S1-S30.
- Griffith CC, Pai RK, Schneider F, Duvvuri U, Ferris RL, Johnson JT. Seethala RR. Salivary gland tumor fine needle aspiration cytology: A proposal for a risk stratification classification. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015. 143(6):839-853.
- Williams L, Thompson LDR, Seethala RR, Weinreb I, Assaad AM, Tuluc M, Ud Din N, Purgina B, Lai C, Griffith CC, Chiosea SI. Salivary duct carcinoma: The predominance of apocrine morphology, prevalence of histologic variants, and androgen receptor expression. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015. 39(5):705-713.
- Chiosea SI, Williams L, Griffith CC, Thompson LD, Weinreb I, Bauman JE, Luvison A, Roy S, Seethala RR, Nikiforova MN. Molecular characterization of apocrine salivary duct carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015. 39(6):744-752.
- Griffith CC, Goodstein LA, Tuluc M, Prestipino A, Cognetti D, Spiegel J, Seethala RR. A rare case of carcinoma cuniculatum involving the larynx in association with a saccular cyst. Head and Neck Pathol. 2015. 9(3):421-425.
- Griffith CC, Thompson LDR, Assaad A, Purgina BM, Lai C, Seethala RR, Chiosea SI. Salivary duct carcinoma and the concept of "early carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma". Histopathol. 2014. 65(6):854-860.
- Warner BM, Griffith CC, Taylor WD, Seethala RR. Sclerosing rhabdomyosarcoma: Presentation of a rare sarcoma mimicking myoepithelial carcinoma of the parotid gland and review of the literature. Head and Neck Pathol. 2015. 9 (1):147-152.
- Griffith CC, Seethala RR, Luvison A, Miller M, Chiosea SI. PIK3CA mutations and PTEN loss in salivary duct carcinomas. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013. 37(8):1201-1207.
- Griffith CC, Stelow EB, Saqi A, Khalbuss WE, Schneider F, Chiosea SI, Seethala RR. The cytological features of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma: A series of six molecularly confirmed cases. Cancer Cytopath. 2013. 121(5):234-241.
- Chiosea SI, Griffith C, Adel A, Seethala RR. Clinicopathologic characterization of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands. Histopathol 2012. 61(3):387-394.
- Chiosea SI, Griffith C, Assaad A, Seethala RR. The profile of acinic cell carcinoma after recognition of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 2012. 36(3):343-350.
- Longo SL, Griffith C, Glass A, Shillitoe EJ, Post DE. Development of an oncolytic Herpes simplex virus using a tumor-specific HIF-responsive promoter. Cancer Gene Ther 2011. 18(2):123-134.
- Griffith C, Zhang S, Mukhopadhyay S. Synchronous metastatic medullary and papillary thyroid carcinomas in a patient with germline RET mutation: case report, molecular analysis, and implications for pathogenesis. Endocr Pathol 2010. 21(2):115-119.