Shoichiro Ono, PhD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Associate Professor, Department of Cell Biology
- Member, Cancer Cell Biology Program, Winship Cancer Institute
- Faculty member/ Executive Committee member, GDBBS BCDB Graduate Program
Email Address: email@example.com
B.S. Chiba University, 1987 - 1991
M.Sc. Chiba University, 1991 - 1993
Ph.D. Chiba University, 1993 - 1996
- Cytoskeleton-Cell Biology We are interested in the mechanisms of the regulation of actin cytoskeletal dynamics. Actin filaments are reorganized during development, cell migration, and cell division. Proper regulation of the actin reorganization is required for normal celluler activities, while its misregulation often causes diseases. We have been studying functions of actin-binding proteins using biochemical, cell biological, and genetic techniques.
- Alternative pre-mRNA splicing A number of genes produce mutiple transcripts by alternative splicing. Misregulation of this mechanism is involved in the pathogenesis of myotonic dystrophy. We identified a muscle-specific regulator of pre-mRNA splicing in the nematode C. elegans and have been studying how this splicing factor functions. This splicing factor is conserved in humans, and we hope to gain insights into the mechanism of tissue-specific pre-mRNA splicing.
Honors / Awards:
- Japan Society for Promotion of Sciences Bridge Award, 2017
- Editorial Board, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2014 - present
- Guest Associate Editor, PLoS Computational Biology, 2012
- Editorial Board, World Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2010-2012
- Editorial Board, Cytoskeleton, 2009-present
- Editorial Board, Cell Health and Cytoskeleton, 2008-present
- Editorial Board, Advanced Studies in Biology, 2008-present
- Editorial Board, BioMed Research International: Cell Biology Section, 2008-present
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Cell Biology, 2008-present
- Albert E. Levy Research Award, 2005
- American Heart Association National Center Scientist Development Grant, 2001
- American Heart Association Southeast Affiliate Beginning Grant, 1999-2001
- Uehara Memorial Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1997-1998
- JSPS Predoctoral Fellowship, 1994-1996
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Ono, S. (2018) "Functions of actin-interacting protein 1(AIP1)/ WD repeat protein 1 (WDR1) in actin filament dynamics and cytoskeletal regulation." Biochem. Biophys. Res Comm. In press.
- Barnes, D. E., Watabe, E., Ono, K., Kwak, E., Kuroyanagi, H., and Ono, S. (2018) "Tropomyosin isoforms differentially affect muscle contractility in the head and body regions in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans." Mol. Biol. Cell. In press.
- Ono, S. (2017) "A plague of actin disassembly." J. Biol. Chem. 292, 8101-8102.
- Iwase, S., and Ono, S. (2017) "Conserved hydrophobic residues in the CARP/Β-sheet domain of cyclase-associated protein are involved in actin monomer regulation." Cytoskeleton 74, 343-355.
- Iwase, S., and Ono, S. (2016) "The C-terminal dimerization motif of cyclase-associated protein is essential for actin monomer regulation." Biochem. J. 473, 4427-4441.
- Ono. K. and Ono, S. (2016) "Two distinct myosin II populations coordinate ovulatory contraction of the myoepithelial sheath in the Caenorhabditis elegans somatic gonad." Mol. Biol. Cell. 27, 1131-1142.
- Barnes, D., Hwang, H., Ono, K., Lu, H., and Ono, S. (2016) "Molecular evolution of troponin I and a role of its N-terminal extension in nematode locomotion." Cytoskeleton 73, 117-130.
- Lee, C. -Y., Lou, J., Wen, K. -K., McKane, M., Eskin, S. G., Rubenstein, P. A., Chien, S., Ono, S., Zhu, C., and McIntire, L. V. (2016) "Regulation of actin catch-slip bonds with a RhoA-formin module." Sci. Rep. 6, 35058.
- Nomura, K. Hayakawa, K., Tatsumi, H. and Ono, S. (2016) "Actin-interacting protein 1 promotes disassembly of cofilin-bound actin filaments in a pH-dependent manner." J. Biol. Chem. 291, 5146-5156.
- Hwang, H., Barnes, D., Matsunaga, Y., Benian, G. M., Ono, S., and Lu, H. (2016) "Muscle contraction phenotypic analysis enabled by optogenetics reveals functional relationships of sarcomere components in Caenorhabditis elegans." Sci. Rep. 6, 19900.
- Shukla, V. K., Kabra, A., Yadav, R., Ono, S., Kumar, D., and Arora, A. (2015) "NMR assignments of actin depolymerizing factor (ADF) like UNC-60A and cofilin like UNC-60B proteins of Caenorhabditis elegans." Biomol. NMR Assign. 9, 261-265.
- Shukla, V. K., Kabra, A., Maheshwari, D., Yadav, R., Jain, A., Tripathi, S., Ono, S., Kumar, D., and Arora, A. (2015) "Solution structures and dynamics of ADF/cofilins UNC-60A and UNC-60B from Caenorhabditis elegans." Biochem. J. 465, 63-78.
- Ono, K., Obinata, T., Yamashiro, S., Liu, Z., and Ono, S. (2015) "UNC-87 isoforms, C. elegans calponin-related proteins, interact with both actin and myosin and regulate actomyosin contractility." Mol. Biol. Cell 26, 1687-1698.
- Ono, S. (2014) "Regulation of structure and function of sarcomeric actin filaments in striated muscle of the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans." Anat. Rec. 297, 1548-1559.
- Cox-Paulson, E., Cannataro, V., Gallagher, T., Hoffman, C., Mantione, G., McIntosh, M., Silva, M., Vissichelli, N., Walker, R., Simske, J., Ono, S., and Hoops, H. (2014) "The minus-end actin capping protein, UNC-94/tropomodulin, regulates development of the Caenorhabditis elegans intestine." Dev. Dyn. 243, 753-764
Book Chapters -
- Ono, S. (2016) "Basic methods to visualize actin filaments in vitro using fluorescence microscopy for observation of filament severing and bundling." In: Cytoskeleton Methods and Protocols Third Edition, Edited by R. H. Gavin, Springer. pp187-193.
- Ono, S. (2007) "The mechanism of depolymerization and severing of actin filaments and its significance in cytoskeletal dynamics." Int. Rev. Cytol. 258, 1-82.
- Ono, S. (2003) "Function of ADF/cofilin in muscle cells: an important regulator of actin dynamics during myofibril assembly and muscle diseases" in Recent Developments in Cell Research, Research Signpost, India, pp31-44.