Sharon W Weiss, MD
Soft Tissue Pathology
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Assistant Dean for Faculty Development, Emory University School of Medicine
Email Address: email@example.com
Undergraduate Wellesley College, Wellesley, Massachusetts, A.B., - 1966
Graduate/Professional Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, - 1971
Intern Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, - 1972
Resident Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, - 1974
Chief Resident Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, - 1975
- Clinicopathologic features and biomarkers of soft tissue neoplasms Dr. Weiss' research focuses on the clinicopathologic features and biomarkers that characterize soft tissue neoplasms. Her publications have centered on the several themes: borderline vascular tumors, pleomorphic sarcomas, and dedifferentiation in liposarcomas. She is attributed with seminal descriptions of a number of new entities including pleomorphic hyalinizing angiectatic tumor of soft parts, paraganglioma like dermal melanocytic tumor, spindle cell hemangioma, and kaposiform hemangioendothelioma.
Dr. Weiss is a surgical pathologist who directs Emory's Expert Consultation Service in Anatomic Pathology. She specializes in the diagnosis of bone and soft tissue neoplasms and oversees a large soft tissue diagnostic service which encompasses over 3000 cases sent to her for a second opinion as well as cases from within the Emory system. Her daily signouts which include residents, a soft tissue fellow, and occasionally visitors from other institutions provide the educational venue for review of these materials. In addition she directs the ACGME-accredited year long soft tissue fellowship.
Dr. Weiss is also the newly appointed Associate Dean for Faculty Development (part-time) and is responsible for the development of school of medicine wide initiatives for developing programs to enhance faculty success.
Honors / Awards:
- Phi Beta Kappa,
- Alpha Omega Alpha,
- Trustee, American Board of Pathology, 2005-
- Maude Abbott Lecture and Award, United States Canadian Academy of Pathology, 2001
- Johns Hopkins Society of Scholars (Distingished Alumnus), 2000
- President, United States Academy of Pathology, 1997-98
- Wellesley College Distinguished Alumna Award, 1996
- A. James French Endowed Professorship, 1995-98
- Diplomate American Board of Pathology (Anatomic Pathology)
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Koch, MB, Shih, IM, Weiss, SW, Folpe, AL: Microphthalmia transcription factor and melanoma cell adhesion molecule expression distinguish desmoplastic/spindle cell melanoma from morphologic mimics. Am J Surg Pathol 25:58-64, 2001
- Arbiser, ZK, Folpe, AL, Weiss, SW: Consultative (expert) second opinions in soft tissue pathology: analysis of problem-prone diagnostic situations. Amer J Clin Pathol, 2001
- Billings, SD, Folpe, AL, Weiss, SW: Do leiomyomas of deep soft tissue exist? An analysis of highly differentiated smooth muscle tumors of deep sof tissue supporting two distinct subtypes. Amer J Surg Pathol 25:1134-1142, 2001.
- Folpe, AL, Chand, EM,Goldblum, JR, Weiss, SW: Expression of Fli-1, a nuclear transcription factor, distinguishes vascular neoplasms from potential mimics. Amer J Surg Pathol 25:1061, 2001.
- McKenney, JK, Weiss, SW, Folpe, AL: CD31 expression in intratumoral macrophages: a potential diagnostic pitfall. Amer J Surg Pathol 25:1167-1173, 2001.
- McLaughlin, ER, Morris, R, Weiss, SW, Arbiser, JL: Diffuse dermal angiomatosis of the breast: response to sotretinoin. J Am Acad Dermatol 45:462, 2001.
- Arbiser, JL, Yeung, R, Weiss, SW, Arbiser, ZK, Amin, MB, Cohen, C, Frank, D, Mahajan, S, Herron, GS, Yang, J, Onda, H, Zhang, HB, Bai, X, Uhlmann, E, Loehr, A, Northrup, H, Au, P, Davis, I, Fisher, DE, Gutmann, DH: The generation and characterization of a cell line derived from a sporadic renal angiomyolipoma: use of telomerase to obtain stable populations of cells from benign neoplasms. Amer J Pathol 159:, 2001.
- Wehrli, B, Weiss, SW, Coffin, C: Gardner's associated fibromas in young patients: a distinct fibrous lesions that identifies unsuspected Gardner syndrome and risk for fibromatosis. Am J Surg Pathol 25:645-651, 2001.
- Folpe, AL, Fanburg,-Smith, JC, Miettinen, M, Weiss, SW: Atypical and malignant glomus tumors: review of 54 cases with a proposal for the reclassification of glomus tumors, Amer J Surg Pathol, 25:1-12, 2001.
- Arbiser, JL, Weiss, SW, Arbiser, ZK, Bravo, F, Govindajaran, B, Caceres-Rios, H, activated protein kinase in cutaneous endothelial neoplasm: implication for biologic behavior and response to therapy. J Am Acad Dermatol 44:193-7,2001.
- Folpe, AL, Johnston, CA, Weiss, SW: Cutaneous angiosarcoma arising in a gouty tophus:report of a unique case and a review of foreign material-associated angiosarcomas. Amer J Dermatopathol 22:418-21, 2000.
- Folpe, AL, KL, Paull, G, Weiss, SW: Low grade bromyxoid sarcoma (LGFMS): a study of 72 cases with particular reference to high grade areas and its relationship tohyalinizing spindle cell tumor with giant rosettes, Amer J Surg Pathol, 24:1353-60,2000.
- Goldblum, JR, Reith, JD, Weiss,SW: Sarcomas arising in dermatofibrosarcoma A reappraisal of biologic behavior in eighteen cases treated by wide local excision with extended follow up. Amer J Surg Pathol, 24:1125-30, 2000.
- Folpe, AL, Hill, CE, Parham, DM, O'Shea, PA, Weiss, SW: Immunohistochemical detection of FLI-1 protein expression: a study of 132 round cell tumors with emphasis on CD99 positive mimics of Ewing's sarcoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumors. Amer J Surg Pathol 24:1657-62, 2000.
- Folpe, AL, Goodman, ZD, Ishak, KG, Paulino, A, Taboada, Ed, Meehan, SA, Weiss, SW: Clear cell myomelanocytic tumor of falciform ligament/ligmentum teres in children and young adults: a novel member of the PEComa family of tumors, Amer J Surg Pathol, 24:1239-46, 2000.
Book Chapters -
- Miettinen, M., Weiss, S.W.: "Soft Tissue Tumors," in Anderson's Pathology, 10th ed., C.V. Mosby, St. Louis, 1996.
- Laskin, W.B. and Weiss, S.W.: Benign Fibrous Lesions of the Upper Limb, in Bogumull, G.P. and Fleegler, E.S. (ed.), Tumors of the Hand and Upper Limb, Churchill Livingstone, London, 1993.
- Weiss, S.W.: Neoplasms of Skeletal Muscle, in Heffner, R. (ed.), Muscle Pathology, Churchill Livingstone, New York, New York, 1983
Books Edited and Written -
- Weiss, SW, Goldblum, JR.: Enzinger and Weiss's Soft Tissue Tumors, 4th edition, Mosby-Harcourt Brace Company, St. Louis, Missouri, 2001.
- Weiss, S.W., Brooks, J.J.: Soft Tissue Tumors. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1996.
- Weiss, S.W., Sobin, L.: WHO Classification of Soft Tissue Tumors. Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1994.
- Weiss, S.W., Battifora, H. and Kempson, R.: Proceedings of the 1986 Anatomic Pathology Slide Seminar, American Society of Clinical Pathologists Press, Chicago, Illinois, 1987.