Marina Mosunjac, MD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Co- Director for Residency Training Program, Emory University Department of Pathology
Email Address: email@example.com
MD School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia, - 1987
Resident, Anatomic Pathology University of Zagreb School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Zagreb, Croatia, - 1992
Resident Anatomic Clinical Pathology Emory University, Atlanta, GA, - 1994
Cytology Fellowship Emory University, Atlanta GA, - 1998
My research is primarily focused on HIV-associated malignancies, HIV in women, HIV and cervical dysplasia, and GYN and breast pathology. Working in an inner city hospital I am especially focused on socioeconomic and demographic factors that could influence present disparities in diagnostics, treatment, and outcome of cancer patients and HIV patients.
I am an attending at the department at Grady Memorial Hospital that averages 15 000 surgical specimens a year serving an economically disadvantaged population including over 4000 HIV positive patients. With Grady being a part of Georgia Cancer Center and Avon-funded Breast Cancer Center, my clinical interests include ,breast and GYN pathology as well as malignancies associated with HIV.
Honors / Awards:
- AnnaLee Boyett Award In Recognition of Outstanding Support to the Residency Training Program, 2013
- Teaching award for resident education, Emory Universtiy Department of Pathology, 2005 - 2006
- Teaching award for resident education, Emory University Department of Pathology, 2000 - 2001
- Diplomate Anatomical and Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Diplomate Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Shaib W, Sharma R, Mosunjac BM, Farris AB 3rd, El Rayes B. Hepatoid Adenocarcinoma of the Lung: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Gastrointest Cancer. 2014 Jan 10.
- Swadley M, Deliu M, Nguyen M, Gunthel C, Mosunjac BM, Hanley ZH. Primary and Secondary Hepatic Lymphomas Diagnosed by Image-Guided Fine Needle Aspiration: A Retrospective Study of Clinical and Cytomorphological Findings, Am J Clin Path .2014 Jan: 141 (1)119-27.
- Liu L, Perry AM, Cao W, Smith LM, Hsi ED, Liu X, Mo JQ, Dotlic S, Mosunjac BM, , Weisenburger DD, Fu K. Talmon G Relationship between Rosai-Dorfman disease and IgG4-related disease: study of 32 cases. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013 Sep;140(3):395-402.
- Patterson SG, Teller P, Iyengar R, Carlson GW, Gabram-Mendola SG, Losken A, Styblo T, Torres M, Wood WC, Perez SD, Mosunjac BM, Rizzo M. Locoregional recurrence after mastectomy with immediate transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Aug;19(8):2679-84
- Mosunjac BM, Park J, Strauss A, Birdsong G, Du V, Rizzo M. Gabram S, Lund MJ. 2012. Time to treatment for patients receiving BCS in a public and a private university hospital in Atlanta. Breast J 2012 Mar-Apr;18(2):163-7
- Rizzo M, Linebarger, J, Lowe MC, Pan L, Gabran S, Vasquez L, Cohen MA, Mosunjac BM. 2012. Management of papillary breast lesions diagnosed on core needle biopsy: Clinical pathologic and radiologic analysis of 276 cases with surgical follow-up. J Am College of Surgeons J Am Coll Surg. 2012 Mar;214(3):280-7
- Anderson AM, Mosunjac BM, Fountain JA, Corey AS, Oshinski JN. 2011. Simultaneous typical and extraordinary imaging findings of AIDS-associates CMV encephalitis. J Neurol Sci 15:307(1-2):174-7.
- Lund MJ, Mosunjac BM, Davis KM, Gabram-Mendola S, Rizzo M, Bumpers HL, Hearn S, Zelnak A, Styblo T, O'Regan RM. 2011. Gene recurrence scores:Racial differences in testing, scores, treatment and outcome. Cancer, Jun 30. doi: 10.1002/cncr.26180.
- Rizzo M, Bumpers H, Okoli J, Senior-Crosby D, O'Regan R, Zelnak A, Pan L, Mosunjac BM, Patterson SG, Gabram SG. 2011. Improving on National Quality Indicators of Breast Cancer Care in a Large Public Hospital as a Means to Decrease Disparities for African American Women. Ann Surg Oncol 18(1):34-9.
- Rizzo M, Iyendar R, Gabram SGA, Park J, Birdsong G, Chandler KL, Mosunjac BM. 2010. The effects of additional tumor cavity sampling at the time of breast conserving surgery on final margin status, volume of resection, and pathologist workload. Ann Surg Oncol 17(1):228-34.
- Mosunjac BM, Park J, Wang W, T Tadros T, M. Siddiqui M, Little J. 2009. Genital and perianal herpes simplex simulating neoplasia in AIDS patients. AIDS Patient Care STDS 23(3): 153-8.
- Mosunjac BM, T Tadros, MT. 2009. Acinic cell carcinoma-papillary cystic variants. Pitfalls of fine needle aspiration diagnosis: study of five cases and review of literature. Cytopathology 20(2):96-102.
- Hanley K Z, Tadros T, Briones AJ, Birdsong G , Mosunjac BM. 2009. Hematolymphoid malignancies of the female genital tract diagnosed on liquid-based Pap test: Cytomorphologic features and review of differential diagnoses. Diagn Cytopathol 37(1): 61-7.
- Rizzo M, Lund M, Mosunjac BM, Bumpers H, Holmes L, O' Regan R, Gabram S. 2009. Characteristics and treatment modalities for African American women diagnosed with stage III breast cancer. Cancer 1; 115(13): 3009-15.
- Mosunjac BM, Sundstrom JB, Mosunjac MI. 2008. Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) with clinical course mimicking fever of unknown origin and sepsis: an autopsy study of five cases. Croat Med J 49(5): 660-8.
Book Chapters -
- Marina B Mosunjac: Chapter 19, Female Reproductive system in Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology Review Edited by Ivan Damjanov, MD, PhD, Marin Nola, MD, PhD and Juan Rosai, MD