Charles E Hill, MD, PhD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Director of Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory, Emory University Hospital
Director of Residency Programs, Emory University Hospital
Co-Director, Molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship, Emory University School of Medicine
President, the Association for Molecular Pathology,
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
BS Biochemistry, Clemson University, 1985 - 1989
MD Medical University of South Carolina, 1989 - 1998
PhD Molecular And Cellular Biology, Medical University of South Carolina, 1989 - 1998
I am participating in a variety of research projects centered on translating basic science research into clinical practice. We have been investigating the role of virally encoded oncogenes in aggressive behavior of laryngeal papillomatosis, the clinical utility and implementation of pharmacogenetics, and the development of tests for diagnosis or prognosis in a variety of malignanacies.
Development of new clinical molecular diagnostic tests. Clinical application of pharmacognetics.
I am engaged in development of clinical pharmacogenetic testing and molecular tumor diagnostics, as well as overseeing day-to-day operations of the molecular diagnostics laboratory. I am also involved in the clinical interpretation of protein electrophoresis and autoimmunity testing.
Honors / Awards:
- Hospital Hero Award, Team Ebola, Georgia Hospital Association, 2015
- National Patient Safety Foundation Daisy Award, Team Ebola, 2015
- Distinguished Patient Care Award, College of American Pathologists, 2015
- DAISY Foundation Team Award, Team Ebola, 2014
- AnnaLee Boyett Award for Outstanding Service to the Pathology Residency Program, 2012
- First Prize Poster, Australasian Division of the International Academy of Pathology, Sydney, Australia, B. Amanuel, A.T. Deyrup, C.E. Hill, C. Foulks, A. Glasingame, S. Li, S.W. Weiss, Molecular Testing for Synovial Sarcoma, 2007
- Outstanding Speaker Award, American Association for Clinical Chemistry, 2006
- Golden Apple Teaching Award, 2004-2005
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1997
- Summa Cum Laude, Clemson Univeristy, 1989
- Norris Medal, Best All-Around Student, Clemson University, 1989
- Faculty Scholarship Award, Clemson University, 1989
- Diplomate Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Diplomate Molecular Genetic Pathology, American Board of Pathology & American Board of Medical Genetics
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Kraft CS, Hewlett AL, Koepsell S, Winkler AM, Kratochvil CJ, Larson L, Varkey JB, Mehta AK, Lyon GM 3rd, Friedman-Moraco RJ, Marconi VC, Hill CE, Sullivan JN, Johnson DW, Lisco SJ, Mulligan MJ, Uyeki TM, McElroy AK, Sealy T, Campbell S, Spiropoulou C, Ströher U, Crozier I, Sacra R, Connor MJ Jr, Sueblinvong V, Franch HA, Smith PW, Ribner BS; Nebraska Biocontainment Unit and the Emory Serious Communicable Diseases Unit. The Use of TKM-100802 and Convalescent Plasma in 2 Patients With Ebola Virus Disease in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Apr 22.
- Limdi NA, Brown TM, Yan Q, Thigpen JL, Shendre A, Liu N, Hill CE, Arnett DK, Beasley TM. Race influences warfarin dose changes associated with genetic factors. Blood. 2015 May 29.
- Zhang L, Ramjit RT, Hill CE, Arellano M, Khoury HJ, Mann KP. Clinical significance of quantitative monitoring and mutational analysis of BCR-ABL1 transcript in Philadelphia chromosome positive B lymphoblastic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2015 Jan 9:1-24.
- McCulloch DJ, Sears MH, Jacob JT, Lyon GM, Burd EM, Caliendo AM, Hill CE, Nix WA, Oberste MS, Kraft CS. Severity of rhinovirus infection in hospitalized adults is unrelated to genotype. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 Aug;142(2):165-72.
- Haspel RL, Olsen RJ, Berry A, Hill CE, Pfeifer JD, Schrijver I, Kaul KL. Progress and potential: training in genomic pathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2014 Apr;138(4):498-504.
- Guarner J, Hill CE, Caliendo AM. Career panel for pathology residents: going beyond the core curriculum. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 Apr;141(4):478-81.
- Hill CE, Burd EM, Kraft CS, Ryan EL, Duncan A, Winkler AM, Cardella JC, Ritchie JC, Parslow TG.Laboratory test support for Ebola patients within a high-containment facility. Lab Med. 2014 Summer;45(3):e109-11.
- Tadesse T, Gearing M, Senitzer D, Saxe D, Brat DJ, Bray R, Gebel H, Hill C, Boulis N, Riley J, Feldman E, Johe K, Hazel T, Polak M, Bordeau J, Federici T, Glass JD. Analysis of graft survival in a trial of stem cell transplant in ALS. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2014 Nov;1(11):900-8.
- Lyon GM, Mehta AK, Varkey JB, Brantly K, Plyler L, McElroy AK, Kraft CS, Towner JS, Spiropoulou C, Ströher U, Uyeki TM, Ribner BS; Emory Serious Communicable Diseases Unit. Clinical care of two patients with Ebola virus disease in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2014 Dec 18;371(25):2402-9.
- Shendre A, Beasley TM, Brown TM, Hill CE, Arnett DK, Limdi NA. Influence of regular physical activity on warfarin dose and risk of hemorrhagic complications. Pharmacotherapy. 2014 Jun;34(6):545-54.
- Yee MM, Josephson, C, Hill CE, Harrington, R, Castillejo, M-I, Ramjit, R, Osunkwo, I, Cytochrome P450 2D6 Polymorphisms and Predicted Opioid Metabolism in African- American Children with Sickle Cell Disease, J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2013 Apr 24.
- Gong JZ, Cook JR, Greiner TC, Hedvat C, Hill CE, Lim MS, Longtine JA, Sabath D, Wang YL. Laboratory Practice Guidelines for Detecting and Reporting JAK2 and MPL Mutations in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms: A Report of the Association for Molecular Pathology. J Mol Diagn. 2013 Nov;15(6):733-44
- Sapkota, B, Hill CE, Pollack, BP. Vemurafenib enhances MHC induction in BRAFV600E homozygous melanoma cells. Sapkota. Oncoimmunology. 2013 Jan 1;2(1):e22890.
- Fisher, KE, Jani, J, Foulks, C, Fisher, SB, Hill, CE, Weber, CJ, Cohen, C, Sharma, J. Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Overexpression is a Marker for Adverse Pathologic Features in Papillary Thyroid Carcinomas Independent of EGFR or BRAF(V600E) Mutation Status. J Surg Res, 2013 Nov;185(1):217-24.
- Kraft CS, Binongo JN, Burd EM, Eaton ME, McCloskey CB, Fernandes H, Hill CE, Caliendo AM. Successful use of Plasma Preparation Tubes¿ (PPTs) in the COBAS(®) AmpliPrep/COBAS(®) TaqMan(®) HIV-1 Test. J Clin Virol. 2013 Jan 16
Book Chapters -
- F.S. Nolte and C.E. Hill. 2006. Polymerase Chain Reaction and other Amplification Technology. In: Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods, 21st ed. W.B. Saunders Co.
- Caliendo AM and Hill CE, Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1. In: Molecular Diagnostics for the Clinical Laboratorian 2nd Edition. Eds. WB Coleman and GJ Tsongalis. Humana Press. pp. 453-459.
- Hill, CE and Caliendo, AM. Viral Load Testing. In: Molecular Microbiology. Diagnostic Principles and Practice. 2004. 2nd Edition. Eds. DH Persing, FC Tenover, J Versalovic, Y-W Tang, ER Unger, DA Relman, TJ White. ASM Press. pp. 478-488.
Other Publications -
- Vitamin K Epoxide Reductase (VKORC1) Genotype Discrepancy Between Donor and Recipient in a Liver Transplant Patient: A Case Report, 2008. S.D. Melton, C. Foulks, C.E. Hill, H. Gebel. Association for Molecular Pathology, Grapevine, TX.
- Performance Validation of BK Virus Nanogen v.2.0 Assay: Method Comparison to Nanogen v.1.0, 2008. C.L. Schmotzer, M.C. Standish, A.M. Caliendo, C.E. Hill. Association for Molecular Pathology, Grapevine, TX.
- S. Melton, C. Cohen, N. Fanaian, T. Pillen, J. Wang, B. Shehata, C.E. Hill. 2007. Epstein-Barr Virus PCR and Epstein-Barr Virus-Encoded RNA in-situ Hybridization as Diagnostic Aids for Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder, Association for Molecular Pathology, Los Angeles, CA.
- J.M. Cole, A.N. Schuetz, C.E. Hill, F.S. Nolte. 2007. Development of a Real-Time Assay for the Detection and Characterization of Klebsiella Pneumoniae Carbapenemases, Association for Molecular Pathology, Los Angeles, CA.
- L. Sanii, C. Foulks, K. Mann, C. Hill. 2007. Investigation of the Use of Anti-CD15 Magnetic Beads to Enhance Detection of the V617F Mutation of JAK2, Association for Molecular Pathology, Los Angeles, CA.
- B. Amanuel, A.T. Deyrup, C.E. Hill, C. Foulks, A. Blasingame, S. Li, S.W. Weiss. 2007. Molecular Testing for Synovial Sarcoma, Australasian Division of the International Academy of Pathology, Sydney, Australia.
- J.M. Cole, C. Foulks, H. Radziewicz, F.S. Nolte, C.E. Hill. 2006. Clinical Laboratory Comparison of the Third Wave Technologies Invader and the Abbott HCV Genotype Analyte-Specific Reagents, Association for Molecular Pathology, Orlando, FL
- S.D. Melton, C. Foulks, C.E. Hill. 2006. High Resolution Amplicon Melting Curve Analysis of C-kit for Mutations in Cutaneous Mastocytosis, Systemic Mastocytosis, and Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors. Association for Molecular Pathology, Orlando, FL
- Park, SI. Winton, EF. Mann, KP. Hill, CE. 2006. High Resolution Amplicon Melting Curve Analysis: A Sensitive And Rapid Method To Detect The Janus Kinase 2 (Jak2) Gene Association for Molecular Pathology, Orlando, FL.
- Hill, CE. Duncan, A. Nolte, FS. Determination of CYP2C9 Genotype by High Resolution Amplicon Melting Curve Analysis Using LCGreen I. Association for Molecular Pathology, Orlando, FL, 2003.
- Subtil, A. Hill, CE. Nolte, FS. Mann, KP. Clinical Validation of the LightCycler t(15;17) Real-Time RT-PCR Kit for the Detection of PML-RAR¿ RNA. Association for Molecular Pathology, Orlando, FL, 2003.
- Hill, CE. Green, AM. Ingersoll, J. Nolte, FS. Caliendo AM. Comparison of Versions 1.0 and 1.5 of the AMPLICOR HIV -1 MONITOR Test, Association For Molecular Pathology, Dallas, TX, 2002.
- Hill CE. Folpe AL. Parham DM. O'Shea PA. Weiss SW. Immunohistochemical detection of FLI-1 protein expression: a study of 132 round cell tumors with emphasis on CD99-positive mimics of Ewing's sarcoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, New Orleans, LA 2000
- Hill, C. E., Lankford, K. V., Brown, W. V., Duncan, A., and Hillyer, C. D. Plasma Exchange (TPE) for Elevated Lipoprotein(a) (Lp(a)) in a Patient with Xanthoma Disseminatum (XD). American Association of Blood Banks, San Francisco, CA, 1999.
- Priest, D. G., Liu, Y., Raghunathan, K., Hill, C., He, Y., Barredo, J. C., and Bunni, M. A. Effect of folylpoly-¿-gluatmate synthase down-regulation on reduced folate accumulation and cellular proliferation in a human T-lymphoblastic leukemic cell line. American Association for Cancer Research, New Orleans, LA, 1998.
- Hill, C. E. and Priest, D. G. Response of thymidylate synthase message to methotrexate in a human leukemic cell line. South Carolina Statewide Research Conference, Charleston, SC, 1996.
- Hill, C. E. and Priest, D. G. Elevation of thymidylate synthase protein in response to antifolates in a human leukemic cell line. Gordon Conference on Chemotherapy of Experimental and Clinical Cancer, New London, NH, 1995.
- Hill, C. E. and Priest, D. G. Elevation of thymidylate synthase in response to methotrexate and tomudex in a human leukemic cell line. American Association for Cancer Research, Washington, D. C., 1995.
- Liu, Y., Bhalla, K., Hill, C., and Priest, D. Evidence for involvement of tyrosine phosphorylation in taxol induced apoptosis in a human ovarian tumor cell line. American Association for Cancer Research, San Francisco, CA, 1994.