Charles W Sewell, MD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Surgical Pathologist, Emory Clinic
- Director Medical Student Education, Emory University
Email Address: email@example.com
A.B. Emory College,; Atlanta, Georgia, 1961 - 1965
M.D. Emory University School of Medicine; Atlanta, Georgia, 1965 - 1969
Extern in Pathology Emory University Hospital, 1968 - 1969
Rotating Internship Grady Memorial Hospital; Atlanta, Georgia, 1969 - 1970
Resident in Pathology and Laboratory Med Emory University School of Medicine, 1970 - 1974
- Breast Disease Current investigative activities in breast disease are concentrated in pathologic-mammographic correlation studies. There is particular interest in core needle biopsy, radial sclerosing lesions, ductal carcinoma in situ, atypical ductal hyperplasia, and lesions which produce mammographic distortions such as lobular carcinoma.
I am a surgical pathologist with twenty-five years and special expertise in Breast Pathology.
Honors / Awards:
- Honorary Fellow Award from the Society of Breast Imaging, 2005
- AnnaLee Boyett Award for excellence in Residency Training, Department of Pathology, 2005
- Crystal Apple Award for Teaching Excellence in Professional School, Emory University, 2000
- Avangeline Pappageorge Alumni Teaching Award, 1994
- Outstanding Clinical Teacher Award by the Graduating Class, Emory University School of Medicine, 1991
- Outstanding Basic Science/Medical Science Teacher Award by the Graduating Class, Emory University School of Medicine, 1985, 1986,1987, 1988, 1990, 1
- Alumnus Member, Alpha Omega Alpha The National Medical Honorary Society, 1979
- Emory Williams Distinguished Teacher Award, Emory University, 1978
- Honorary Member of Graduating Class, Emory University School of Medicine, 1976, 1978, 1982, 1984, 1993,
- Best Lecturer Award from Sophomore Medical Class, (most years)
- Diplomate Anatomical and Clinical Pathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Webber CJ, Sewell CW, McGarity WC: Persistent and recurrent sporadic primary hyperparathyroidism: Histopathology complications, and results of reoperation. Presented at the Fifteenth Annual Meeting of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons; Dearborn, Michigan; April 17-19, 1994.
- Downey RS, Sewell CW, Mansour KA: Large cell carcinoma of the lung: A highly aggressive tumor with dismal prognosis. Ann Thorac Surg 47:806-808;1989.
- Watts NB, Sewell CW: Case Report: Carcinomatous involvement of the thyroid presenting as sub-acute thyoiditis. Am J of Med Sci 31:126-128;1988.
- Moretz ML, Grist WJ, Sewell CW: Zygomycosis presenting as nasal polyps in a healthy child. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 113:550-552;1987.
- Talley JD, Franch RH, Clements SD, Murphy DA, Sewell CW: primary right ventricular lieomyosarcoma producing outflow tract obstruction. Am Heart J 112:1335-1338;1986.
- Millikan WJ, Henderson JM, Sewell CW, Guyton RA, Potts RJ, Cranford CA, Cramer AR, Galambos JT, Warren WD: An approach to the spectrum of Budd-Chiari syndrome: which patients require portal decompression. Am J of Surg 149:167-176;1985.
- McGarity WC, McKeown PP, Sewell CW: The role of routine biopsy of all parathyroid glands in primary hyperparathyroidism. Am Surg 51:8-15;1985.
- Whitmire LF, Glambos JT, Philips VM, Sewell CW, Erwin BC, Torres WE, Bernardino ME: Imaging guided percutaneous hepatic biopsy: diagnostic accuracy and safety. J Clin Gastroenterol 7(6);511-515;1985.
- Phillips VM, Hersh T, Erwin BC, Torres WE, Sewell CW, Clements JL, Baumgartner BR, Bernardino ME: Percutaneous biopsy of pancreatic masses. J Clin Gastroenterol 7(6):506-510;1985.
- Witten FR, O'Brien DP, Sewell CW, Wheatley JK: Bilateral clear cell papillary cystadenoma of the epididymides presenting as infertility: an early manifestation of Von-Hippel-Lindau's syndrome. J of Urol 133:1062-1064;1985.
- McKeown P, McGarity W, Sewell CW: Carcinoma of the parathyroid glands: Is it over-diagnosed? A report of three cases. Am J of Surg 147:292-298;1984.
- Darden WA, Fulknwider JT, Smith RB, Sewell CW: Congenital abdominal aortic aneurysms: report of a case and review of the literature. Surgery 96:567-573;1984.
- Berkman WA, Bernardino ME, Sewell CW, Price RB, Sones PJ: The computed tomography - guided adrenal biopsy. Cancer 53:2098-2103;1984.
- McSweeney M, Small WC, Carny V, Sewell CW, Powell W, Goldstein JH: NMR dissemination of benign and malignant human breast tissue based upon transverse relaxation parameters. Radiology; 1984.
- Taussig AS, Hurst JW, Ambrose SS, Sewell CW: Massive prostatic infarction following aortocoronary bypass surgery: A report of two cases. Clin Cardiol 7:113-116;1984.
Book Chapters -
- Sewell CW: Pathology of High Risk Breast Lesions and DCIS. Radiologic Clinics of North America, Nov. 2004 (In Press)
- Smith RB, Sewell CW: Congenital aortic aneurysms in aortic surgery. (Bergan JJ and Yao J, eds.) WB Saunders; 1989.
- Sewell CW, Murphy F, Walther M, McCue P, Graham SD, White M: Testis and para-testicular structure in urologic pathology with clinical and radiologic correlation. Someren AO (ed), McMillen (Pub), NY/Toronto/London; 1989.
- Sewell CW: Pathologic study of mammary lesions in Egan RL (ed) Breast imaging, diagnosis and morphology of breast diseases. WB Saunders Co.; 1988.
Books Edited and Written -
- Someren AO, Sewell CW: Differential Diagnosis in Pathology of Breast Disease. Igaku-Shoin, New York-Tokyo, 1996.
Other Publications -
- Ellis FD, Seiler JG III, Sewell CW: The second annular pulley: a histologic examination. J Hand Surg (Am). 20(4):632-5, 1995 Jul.
- Sewell CW: Pathology of Benign and Malignant Breast Disorders. Radiologic Clinics of North America. Vol. 33 No. 6:1067-1079; November, 1995.