Yun F (Wayne) Wang, MD, PhD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Director of Laboratory, Grady North Dekalb Health Center & Grady East Point Health Center
Director of Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Diagnostics, Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta
Email Address: email@example.com
MD Fudan University Shanghai Medical School, 1981 - 1987
PhD Medical College of Ohio, 1988 - 1992
- Diagnostic and molecular microbiology I am interested in and actively involved in rapid laboratory diagnosis of infectious diseases including tuberculosis, sexually transmitted disease, and HIV, by using molecular and immunologic methods. I am interested in antimicrobial susceptibility testing and resistance surveillance study. I am the editorial board member for the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, and the Emory Medical Care Foundation (EMCF) Research Committee member.
I am in charge of the Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory at Grady Memorial Hospital, the largest public hospital in the Southeast. I am responsible for rapid and cost effective laboratory diagnosis of infectious diseases, particularly in HIV, tuberculosis, and sexually transmitted disease.
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Livorsi D, Anderson E, Qureshi S, Howard M, Wang YF, Franco-Paredes C. 2010. Brainstem encephalitis: an unusual presentation of herpes simplex virus infection. J Neurol., 257:1432-7.
- Wang, YF and M. J Dowzicky 2010. In vitro Activity of Tigecycline and Comparators on Acinetobacter spp. Isolates Collected from Patients with Bacteremia and MIC Change during the Tigecycline Evaluation and Surveillance Trial, 2004-2008. Diagnostic Microbiology & Infectious Disease, 68:73-9
- Jung, J., Yoo, D, Law, K, Wang, YF, and Higgins, S. 2010. Recurrent Staphylococcus lugdunensis infective endocarditis and review of the literature. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice. 18:16-22
- Mosunjac M, Park J, Wang YF, Tadros T, Siddiqui M, Sequeira J, and Little J. 2009. Genital and perianal Herpes Simplex simulating neoplasia in AIDS patients. AIDS patient care and STDs. 23: 153-8.
- DiazGranados CA, Jones MY., Kongphet-Tran T., White N., Shapiro M, Wang YF., Ray SM., and Blumberg HM. 2009. Outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa associated with Contamination of a Flexible Bronchoscope. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 30:550-5.
- Schaffner J., Chochua S., Kourbatova, EV, Barragan, M, Wang, YF, Blumberg, HM., del Rio, C., Walker, HK., and Leonard, MK. 2009. High mortality among patients with positive blood cultures at a Children's Hospital in Tbilisi, Georgia. J Infect Dev Ctries 3:267-272.
- Huang, WY., Hayes R., Pfeiffer R., Viscidi, R.P., Lee, FK., Wang, YF, Reding, D, Whitby, D, Papp, JR, and Rabkin, CS. 2008. Sexually Transmissible Infections and Prostate Cancer Risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 17: 2374-2381
- Kershaw, T.S., Lewis J, Westdahl C, Wang YF, Rising SS, Massey Z, and Ickovics J. 2007. Using clinical decision trees to prevent sexually transmitted infections during Pregnancy. Perspectives on sexual and reproductive health. 39:141-148
- Seybold, U., White N, Wang YF, Halvosa JS, and Blumberg HM. 2007. Colonization with multidrug-resistant organisms in evacuees after Hurricane Katrina. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 28:726-729.
- King, MD, JT. Bianca, J. Terrell, Y.F. Wang, SM. Ray, and HM. Blumberg. 2006. Emergence of Community-Acquired Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA300 Clone as the Predominant Cause of S. aureus Skin and Soft Tissue Infections in Atlanta. Ann. Intern. Med. 144:309-317.
- Seybold, U, E.V. Kourbatova, J.G. Johnson, S.J. Halvosa, Y.F. Wang, M.D. King, S.M. Ray, and H.M. Blumberg. 2005. Emergence of community-associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) USA300 genotype as a major cause of healthcare-associated blood stream infections. Clin. Infect. Dis. 42:647-56.
- Leonard, MK., D. Osterholt, EK. Kourbatova, C. Del Rio, W. Wang, and HM. Blumberg. 2005. How many sputum specimens are necessary to diagnose pulmonary tuberculosis? A. J. Infection Control. (AJIC).33:58-61.
- Hammock, L., A. Reisenauer W. Wang, C. Cohen, G. Birdsong, and A. Folpe. 2005. Latency-Associated Nuclear Antigen (LANA) Expression and Human Herpesvirus-8 PCR in the Evaluation of Kaposi Sarcoma and Other Vascular Tumors in HIV-Positive Patient. Modern Pathology. 18:463-8.
- Zhang, DY., J. Wu, F. Ye, L. Xue, S. Jiang, J Yi, W. Zhang, H. Wei., M. Sung, W. Wang, and X. Li. 2003. Inhibition of cancer cell proliferation and prostaglandin E2 synthesis by Scutellaria Baicalensis. Cancer Research. 63: 4037-43.
- Yarkin, F., S. Chauvin, N. Konomi, W. Wang, G. Bauchman, A. Diaz, D. Burstein, A. Szporn, R. Mo, E. Hauptman, and D.Y. Zhang. 2003. Detection of Human papillomavirus DNA in cervical specimens collected in cytological solution. Acta Cytol. 47:450-456.
Book Chapters -
- Wang, Y.F., Eaton ME, Schuetz AN, and Nesheim SR. 2008. Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Chapter 2. In Diagnostic Microbiology of the Immunocompromised Host. Hayden RT, Carroll K, Tang YW, and Wolk DM. ASM Press. 47-68
- Wang, Y.F. 2006. Signal amplification techniques. In Advanced Techniques in Diagnostic Microbiology. Tang and Stratton. Springer. 228-242.
- Wang, Y.F. 2006. Advanced antibody detection. In Advanced Techniques in Diagnostic Microbiology. Tang and Stratton. Springer. 42-62.